Rating software on repo.openpandora.org

I think everything Dunny has to say in his mocking way is that he does not deem this discussion worthy. Ignore, continue.

I think everything Dunny has to say in his mocking way is that he does not deem this discussion worthy. Ignore, continue.

Then you've totally failed to understand my posts. Still, I'm glad you took the time to read them, even so.

D.

Hey, Dunny, you're better off with this if you want something with chicken, breadcrumbs, and eggs-as-glue. :p

Then you've totally failed to understand my posts. Still, I'm glad you took the time to read them, even so.

D.
Time to read that you did not ("tl;dr")? If you insist on being cryptic you might aswell say nothing. Are you here to help or play the Riddler?

*shrugs*

If you show the average rating, that hardly solves the problem, now does it?
true

You can already see how many people voted if you really want to right now. The problem is not everyone is going to do that with every app, which means people are going to randomly not bother with apps with low average ratings, regardless of whether it is an actual consensus or just one guy. This puts apps that aren't extremely popular at a disadvantage.
Something you will also have with a like/dislike system - having 2 votes pro and 1 vote contra doesn't make things better here, the app could still be crappy as you can't tell wether zxdunny was voting contra or someone who actually has broader view of the world than just black and white.

It seems to me that the underlying problem is, that people around here a rather rating "lazy" or in rare cases aren't capable of commencing a usefull rating.

Maybe we should install a more rewarding system. Like badges or something, people tend to get crazy in forums when "achivements" can be collected (only hell knows why).

Plus, you still have the voter manipulation as long as there is a single bar (or number) that increases or decreases based on what you vote. At least, that's my hypothesis.
a hypothesis based on googles experience with youtube (btw. I wonder why they are still using a star rating system on android market though), not on an overall experience with the repo.

I think both of these would most likely just confuse new viewers. Plus, the second one fails to account for how many people actually voted.
You could add the total number to the second idea.

All in all I suggest a truce, as we both won't move away from your positions. I can see the advantages in your proposal, and I can't deny the flaws of the current rating system, but the advantage we might gain with the new system is not worth the loss of information (at least I would experience).

Time to read that you did not ("tl;dr")? If you insist on being cryptic you might aswell say nothing. Are you here to help or play the Riddler?

I'm still very glad that you read my posts. I'm not being cryptic at all (please, point out what you didn't understand and I'll go through it with you). I'm always here to help, my door is always open, etc etc.

D.

Back