Rastan Freezing Issue Any1 Know Where To Get Mame 2.3?

tgg

With the new mame 2.4 rastan keeps freezing on the second level around the part where you you jump on the ropes over the lava flames, Any1 know where to get mame 2.3

tgg posted on Jul 23 2006 at 05:44 AM said:
With the new mame 2.4 rastan keeps freezing on the second level around the part where you you jump on the ropes over the lava flames, Any1 know where to get mame 2.3
Seeing as Rastan is a 68000 based game, this could be a problem with the latest version of the Cyclone core.

Did you try the "compatible" version to see if the same thing happens?

Last edited by a moderator:
slaanesh posted on Jul 22 2006 at 07:24 PM said:
tgg posted on Jul 23 2006 at 05:44 AM said:
Seeing as Rastan is a 68000 based game, this could be a problem with the latest version of the Cyclone core.

Did you try the "compatible" version to see if the same thing happens?

No I didnt I will try and post what happen.

I compiled up the new Cyclone for GP32 MAME, but alas I was not 1337 enough to even get to the second level of Rastan. :) And then my patience ran out retrying.
Anyways, the new Cyclone is in GP32 MAME.

And as a special bonus, I've created a new Sega System 16 module for all those wonderful Sega System 16 games!

So, Shinobi and Alien Syndrome and Alien Storm, etc should be coming soon to a GP32 near you!

Franxis posted on Jul 23 2006 at 04:25 PM said:
Please check it with all different executables and also with previous MAME GP2X 2.3:
http://www.talfi.net/gp32_franxis/download...0gp2x%202.3.rar

Regards.

Ok my batteries are charging but I did try the compatible executable and it did not have that freezing issue. I think you said to try the 2.3 version, well I had 2.3 for long time and never had rastan freeze up.

While talking about the 3 different executables what do each one do?

Also I noticed rastan framerate a little slower with running compatible executable do I just bump up the clock speed?

tgg posted on Jul 24 2006 at 12:58 PM said:
Ok my batteries are charging but I did try the compatible executable and it did not have that freezing issue. I think you said to try the 2.3 version, well I had 2.3 for long time and never had rastan freeze up.

The regular MAME executable has all the standard CPU emulation cores. The regular version uses 'C' CPU cores except for the Assembler 68K core which is generally pretty compatible - now with the latest version of Cyclone (the Assembler 68K core) even more so. (However, it looks like you may have discovered a bug with it!)

The compatible MAME executable uses the 'C' 68K core, and the fast MAME executable uses the assembler Z80 core. This is the only difference.

In general, the compatible executable will be the slowest, but all games should work as originally intended in MAME 0.34/0.35

The regular executable is what you would normally use as it's highly comatible, except for some rare instances where games don't work.

Basically, the assembler cpu cores are always faster than the 'C' cores, however sometimes are not as accurate.

Also I noticed rastan framerate a little slower with running compatible executable do I just bump up the clock speed?
Sure. :)

EDIT: BTW - In Rastan, what's a good way of dealing with those flying demon/gargoyles things on level one?

slaanesh posted on Jul 23 2006 at 09:44 PM said:

The regular MAME executable has all the standard CPU emulation cores. The regular version uses 'C' CPU cores except for the Assembler 68K core which is generally pretty compatible - now with the latest version of Cyclone (the Assembler 68K core) even more so. (However, it looks like you may have discovered a bug with it!)

The compatible MAME executable uses the 'C' 68K core, and the fast MAME executable uses the assembler Z80 core. This is the only difference.

In general, the compatible executable will be the slowest, but all games should work as originally intended in MAME 0.34/0.35

The regular executable is what you would normally use as it's highly comatible, except for some rare instances where games don't work.

Basically, the assembler cpu cores are always faster than the 'C' cores, however sometimes are not as accurate.

Sure. :)

EDIT: BTW - In Rastan, what's a good way of dealing with those flying demon/gargoyles things on level one?

I just jump and wack them or just hold the directional pad up and wack upwards while standing on ground.

Ohh another thing I ran rastan with the regular excutable but using 100% for video and audio instead of the default 80% and I didnt have that freezing up issue, but just to see if its a real fix I'm gonna run rastan again at 80% regular excutable and see if it freezes, if so then i'll do 100% regular excutable to see if it doesnt freeze

Thanks tgg, inform us about your tests :)

slaanesh posted on Jul 24 2006 at 02:43 AM said:
And as a special bonus, I've created a new Sega System 16 module for all those wonderful Sega System 16 games! So, Shinobi and Alien Syndrome and Alien Storm, etc should be coming soon to a GP32 near you!

Great Slaanesh :lol:

slaanesh posted on Jul 23 2006 at 08:43 PM said:
And as a special bonus, I've created a new Sega System 16 module for all those wonderful Sega System 16 games!
So, Shinobi and Alien Syndrome and Alien Storm, etc should be coming soon to a GP32 near you!

Are there any more GP32MAME surprises? ARE THERE?!? ARE THERE?!? I got a bag full of cute little bunnies; TELL ME or the bunnies get it! :lol:

Well actually Alien Storm doesn't work - the only Sega System 16 games that work are the same ones that work on the GP2X minus Golden Axe (which is too big to shoe-horn into 8MB - really sorry!)

That still leaves Alien Syndrome, Altered Beast, Monster's Lair III, SDI, Shinobi and Tetris.
They all work full speed (30FPS) at Frame Skip 1 however slow down substantinally when sound is activated.
The sound CPU and sound chip are fairly hefty which explains why.

Some others also work like Dynamite Dux but they have some graphic glitches.

Apart from sample support and some other odds and ends, bug fixes and optimizations here and there, that will be it for this release.

Hopefully this weekend.

slaanesh posted on Jul 26 2006 at 05:03 PM said:
Hopefully this weekend.

Awesome. Really looking forward to it. I really hate being a nag because you graciously continued with GP32MAME and done so much to contribute with both GP32 and GP2X MAME but is the contrast/gamma option a go?
The rabbits escaped from the bag. Forgot to tie it so I can't coerce you with that but I got some cute baby seals to club instead and they couldn't move to save their.....lives. HEH HEH HEH! :lol:

DisgruntleElf posted on Jul 27 2006 at 10:44 AM said:
Awesome. Really looking forward to it. I really hate being a nag because you graciously continued with GP32MAME and done so much to contribute with both GP32 and GP2X MAME but is the contrast/gamma option a go?
Ah yes, well I did have an initial look into it. It would be nice if there was some source available from another emulator that already does this, so I could just apply that.
I know DrMD has something like this - but there is no source.
Anyone else know of source to do this?

Back