Rant: I hate ASUS!!!!

There were some mobile bare bone chassis in the past that used a desktop CPU instead of the mobile mobile "M" version. (yeah, a laptop with desktop CPU) :)

A friend of mine got one of these from the US (can`t remember the brand). The laptop was really powerful - hardware wise, back in the day, equipped with fancy GPU and stuff,

but the whole shell was getting way too hot.

Some how it manage to stay stable even on those extreme temperatures. (no crashes/shutdowns caused by overheating).

I manage to change the thermal paste/sticks of the CPU and the GPU, with some fancy ones (the original ones were dried after only a few months of use), in order to lower the temperature,

but the thing was still hot.

I have some similar experiences with some older models (almost brand new, back in the day) of XMG and ibuypower. :)

Even the older models of Alienware were complete crap in therms of heating and noise. 

There were some mobile bare bone chassis in the past that used a desktop CPU instead of the mobile mobile "M" version. (yeah, a laptop with desktop CPU) :)

A friend of mine got one of these from the US (can`t remember the brand). The laptop was really powerful - hardware wise, back in the day, equipped with fancy GPU and stuff,

but the whole shell was getting way too hot.

Some how it manage to stay stable even on those extreme temperatures. (no crashes/shutdowns caused by overheating).

I manage to change the thermal paste/sticks of the CPU and the GPU, with some fancy ones (the original ones were dried after only a few months of use), in order to lower the temperature,

but the thing was still hot.

I have some similar experiences with some older models (almost brand new, back in the day) of XMG and ibuypower. :)

Even the older models of Alienware were complete crap in therms of heating and noise. 
The fuck that is just a complete engineering failure? Sounds like your friend bought a mobile workstation rather than something designed to be a laptop. The mobile versions of CPU's run much cooler than desktop CPU's as well as use less power. Plus they would have to specifically design a board just so they could do that. Also it doesn't matter how many times you change the thermal paste since all that does is allow better transfer of heat. If the heat has nowhere to disperse it is just going to cook :D

II can tell you the Clevo/Sager/metabox's are awesome with their heat distribution.  Just read reviews of them, the main concern people have is that they are bit chunkier than other 13'3 laptops but thats really it.

Last edited by a moderator:
HA-HA, yeah, :) But it was not a engineering failure, it was a "feature" :D

I will consider Clevo and Sager as an option, if my T510 dies :)

I'm dreading the end of August, my workstation at work is do for a refresh.. I love my W510, however at work (IBM) is now issuing Toshiba laptops to some.. I'm hoping I can request a Lenovo.. Although not too keen on what they did to the keyboard on the newer models.

I have seen many Asus motherboards dying, because of this I think the most reliable motherboard is Gigabyte.
Personally I've never had an Asus motherboard die on me since I started buying them in 1998 and I built a ton of computers for myself, family and friends..

Back