Random Thoughts After Buying Wiz

madtwinz

Still Fresh
Got my Wiz few days ago and testing it. This thing is awesome!
I want to share some thoughts and answer some questions which bothered me before buying:

- controls are good, can't complain

- if you don't want to recharge your Wiz using only PC/Laptop then get AC to USB adapter (you can use one from digital camera too)

- screen quality is stunning, colors are rich, black is black, there's no ghosting

- about that screen tearing thing, I've seen it only few times and it doesn't disturb me, some emulators have anti-tearing function too (PicoDrive), didn't try new firmware yet (still on 1.1.0)

- comics reader works good only if you have lower resolution jpg's. Big resolution scans have too small fonts and even zooming won't help (and it's too slow). Resize your scans and it will work. Touchscreen works well in this app.

Uae4All - works very good, it's fast (there's overclock function). It lacks some functions like multiple disk drives, scaling, 2MB Ram and AGA support, but you can play most of OCS/ECS games withouth problems. There's on-screen keyboard which works good but it's small and hard to use. Some games doesn't work just because of bad adf image, try other adf version and it should work. As for touchscreen - it sucks in Uae4All, you can't use it properly. Maybe someday we will see fixed version, but for today there's a partial solution. If you want to emulate mouse using D-Pad be sure to check the maximum mouse emulation speed. This way I play strategy and adventure games on Uae4All.

ScummVM - this emulator supports touchscreen and on-screen keyboard. You can write commands for older text games using touchscreen and it works very good. It's awesome to have all these adventure games in your pocket :)

Other emulators work very good or perfect (PicoDrive), if performance in some game drops then you can just overclock Wiz and you're done.

UAE is fantastic isn't it? I played WizKid the other day and was blown away by how good it was.

Nova said:
UAE is fantastic isn't it? I played WizKid the other day and was blown away by how good it was.

I've played Ruff 'n' Tumble, Pinball Dreams and Turrican 3 so far, they run smoothly (at 700Mhz) and display quality is stunning. This emu is very good and can show the real power of Wiz, especially when running Amiga scene demos and intros.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you like it, but note the UAE emulator does support multiple disks. :)

Audi said:
Glad you like it, but note the UAE emulator does support multiple disks. :)

Thanks for this info, I saw the option to emulate up to four drives but didn't know how to choose all four disks. Now I found it, so I'll write it here for other newbies:

Number of drives: it's possible to choose from 1 up to 4 drives. It needs to reset emulation to take effect. IMPORTANT! To insert adf disks into each drive (in Filemanager section), the buttons are: B for DF0:, Y for DF1:, A for DF2:, X for DF3:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back