Railroad Rampage Caanoo Port For Testing!

Ill tell ya, both of your games took me a little by suprise in how much I enjoyed playing them. You have a couple potentially, very addictive games on your hands.

Those interactive backgrounds in Runner were a lot of fun. I really wish that could run full speed on my Caanoo <_<
The Runner character has a lot of really interesting moves, like the dash, bouncing off walls (right?) cool jumps. It makes me wish the levels were designed to facilate his cool abilities, kind of like how Sonic games are designed to let the player enjoy using Sonics abilities. If done properly, playing through a level is fluid, natural (with challenges of course) more like a dance (if that makes sense).

There were points when I felt like I understood the game and it was natural to me and fun. And then there were points where I felt that the elements in the level werent really playing to the strength of the characters abilities, and the level became a bit less fun.

Im sure a better framerate would help a lot too ;)

Ill tell ya, both of your games took me a little by suprise in how much I enjoyed playing them. You have a couple potentially, very addictive games on your hands.

That's nice to hear! I'll forward it to the others who helped. :)

Those interactive backgrounds in Runner were a lot of fun. I really wish that could run full speed on my Caanoo
Im sure a better framerate would help a lot too

Yeah, the effects worked great on my computer but turned out to be rather complicated to get to work right on the Wiz/Caanoo. It might be that the overclocking process isn't working, in which case it runs slower than it should. But it probably won't be full speed either way unless I find another way to do them. The normal version should run pretty much flawless though, unless the overclocking isn't working that is. Ill have to check these scripts.

The Runner character has a lot of really interesting moves, like the dash, bouncing off walls (right?) cool jumps. It makes me wish the levels were designed to facilate his cool abilities, kind of like how Sonic games are designed to let the player enjoy using Sonics abilities. If done properly, playing through a level is fluid, natural (with challenges of course) more like a dance (if that makes sense).
There were points when I felt like I understood the game and it was natural to me and fun. And then there were points where I felt that the elements in the level werent really playing to the strength of the characters abilities, and the level became a bit less fun.

I really see what you mean here! It's something I always enjoy in games; when playing them feels like everything fits together in a choregraphed kind of way and just flows on effortlessly. As you say, like a dance. On some levels that worked just automatically due to the moves, like bouncing off walls and such. But since it was made for a competition and I was running out of time the levels got a bit rushed. Initially I wanted it to be a more traditional platformer, with a start and a goal in each level.
But these are the things that would be added in it's sequel, titled Nether Dimensional Destroyer. The idea is that an all-out war has errupted for control of the crystals only found in these strange dimensions. And when battles are fought there, rifts between dimensions form and affect gameplay. So the levels would look like they do in Runner, black and white with crazy backgrounds, but in some areas there would be "intrusions" of other dimensions, so a level could contain a small area which is a forest or another area which is a futuristic city, etc. All blended together with the weird black-and-white nothingness. And the levels would then be both bigger and be more interesting. And hopefully the controls could be put to better use and the overall design work better then. :)

The game I'm working on right now also has this thought in it's design, that is: gameplay that feels smooth and fluid. It's a sidescrolling platformer, run-and-gun style inspired by Contra and Gunstar Heroes. So I am already working in that direction. ;)

I have learned a bit more about overclocking on the Caanoo now. It seems RAM/LCD-timings and such won't work as on the WIZ, so I can only change the CPU clock.
I updated the start-scripts and I guess the game won't go faster for the moment. So this will probably be the final version until there is more info about overclocking. Same place as before : http://www.box.net/shared/tf84cpe52z
I hope the game is playable atleast on the normal setting? If none reports an error, I'll post it on the main page and try to fix Railroad Rampage next!

Back