Railroad Rampage Caanoo Port For Testing!

Imerion

I just ported my game Railroad Rampage to the Caanoo using the Caanoo-version of the BennuGD runtime. Since I don't have a Caanoo I can't try if it works. Could someone help me test it?
If it works, I can port most of my/our other games quite easily so I'm hoping for the best! :)

Download can be found here : Railroad Rampage - Caanoo

@ Imerion

Hey nice to see another game hit the caanoo unfortunately as jph_iterationGAMES said the game tries to load for a second but then returns to the caanoo menu , i tried it in the native caanoo menu and also the gmenu2x menu !

paul3100

I see. Thanks for the help, I'll try a different aproach and see what happens. I'll post again once I have something new to try. :)

Another version done! Took me some time to get back to this. I still have no idea if it works since I don't have a Caanoo, but the new version can be found here for anyone who wants to test it : Railroad Rampage Caanoo

the game loads up and plays now :D good work ....

iv never played the game before so not sure 100% how its meant to play but sound and graphics are 100% ok though having trouble with the drop down menus, the laft drop down works ok nut can't open the right hand menu and the middle menu is hard to open........

paul3100

Nice to hear it works! Unless some other problem appears I'll post it in the news section and on my page.

iv never played the game before so not sure 100% how its meant to play but sound and graphics are 100% ok though having trouble with the drop down menus, the laft drop down works ok nut can't open the right hand menu and the middle menu is hard to open........
@ Paul3100 might be the missing pixel problem a....

Strange. I don't know what the missing pixel problem is. Does it only affect the Caanoo? The code is the same as for the WIZ version, so the menus should work. Calibrating the touch-screen might help. Otherwise, you can use the D-pad or the other buttons to open up the menus.

Yeah thats where I put it - just wondering what its for - blond moment again lol

No problem, it's not obvious what it is. :) It's the runtime that interprets and runs the code. If you have it there it should work with all Bennu-developed games.

Looks like a really cool game.

As others have said though, it can be difficult to bring up the menus due to the top rows of pixels being covered up on the Caanoo. I had to recalibrate my touch screen to make sure that it was dead on accurate so that I could open the menus, its still a bit tough though.

Also, none of the buttons work so there isn't any way to exit the game or open menus by pressing buttons.

The game itself seems to run fine though and it looks and sounds great! I did run into a bug where the difficulty selections stayed on the screen after I chose "easy" (easy disappeared but medium and hard stayed on the screen). I think it was because I touched the screen again before the menu went away.

Nice job on the port though! Keep it up! =)

ozzuneoj said:
As others have said though, it can be difficult to bring up the menus due to the top rows of pixels being covered up on the Caanoo. I had to recalibrate my touch screen to make sure that it was dead on accurate so that I could open the menus, its still a bit tough though.

I wanna echo this. I did give the game a try on my Caanoo... but I couldn't do much because I couldn't press the buttons for the build menus. Pulling those graphics in from the edges a bit would do wonders for playability.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the feedback! If the buttons don't work, the game will be very hard indeed. :) But I think that should work now. Try this one : http://www.box.net/shared/hn9hf3jipt
If it works I'll fix the last problems, like that menu bug, in the final version.

Oh, and while you're at it, here's another one to try, Nether Dimensional Runner : http://www.box.net/shared/tf84cpe52z :)
The normal version should work fine if Railroad does. But the HI version uses pollux_set for overclocking and I don't know if that works on the Caanoo. I found a thread here where it said it should work, but some confirmation would be nice.
Please notice that even though it shouldn't be dangerous to overclock the processor it might still do something strange. So keep that in mind if you want to try it.

Imerion said:
Thanks for the feedback! If the buttons don't work, the game will be very hard indeed. :) But I think that should work now. Try this one : http://www.box.net/shared/hn9hf3jipt
If it works I'll fix the last problems, like that menu bug, in the final version.

I tried it, the buttons do seem a bit better. I still kinda wish they were a bit bigger, its odd jamming my stylus into the corner of the screens.

I found myself using the thumbstick to open the menus, but its a little picky. You can only flick the thumbstick, if you hold the stick in the direction, the menus seem to open in close. It can be a little frustrating.

Also, I tried Runner. Interesting game I might say! A lot of potential if you got more creative with the level designs. However, I didn't notice any difference between the normal version and the HI version. Unless I set it up wrong (changed the ini file) I noticed no frame rate improvement, so I couldn't verify if there was overclocking happening.

I'm enjoying playing your stuff!

traylorpark said:
I tried it, the buttons do seem a bit better. I still kinda wish they were a bit bigger, its odd jamming my stylus into the corner of the screens.

I found myself using the thumbstick to open the menus, but its a little picky. You can only flick the thumbstick, if you hold the stick in the direction, the menus seem to open in close. It can be a little frustrating.

Also, I tried Runner. Interesting game I might say! A lot of potential if you got more creative with the level designs. However, I didn't notice any difference between the normal version and the HI version. Unless I set it up wrong (changed the ini file) I noticed no frame rate improvement, so I couldn't verify if there was overclocking happening.

I'm enjoying playing your stuff!

Thanks!
Good to hear the controls work now. I will fix bigger buttons for the menus before release, which should solve that problem as well. As long as everything else works, that should be easy.
I noticed the error with runner: the script was wrong. I didn't remember that I had two different source files for the versions. (The HI-version has many more graphical effects, like interactive backgrounds.)
The levels get a bit more interesting later on, with more hazards, springs, turrets, bosses and more. But I agree it could be made much more interesting. I have a sequel planned which will, among other things, include more interesting levels. But for the moment I am working on other projects, so it's on hold. Perhaps if there would be another compo or something I'll pick it up again! :)

Back