Quick Script For Automated Setup

Aninhumer

Guy with scary face.
Website
Visit site
Despite the development of the PND system, I've seen quite a few people being confused by file placement already.
This could be solved by a quick script that checks if the files exist, and prompts for their location otherwise.
I'm sure many devs are working on much more important bugs, so I thought I'd post this script for packagers to adapt:
(Example for prboom. Untested. Variables possibly incorrect, but you get the idea.)

Code:
#!/bin/bash

TARGET="./doom.wad"            #The location for the necessary file
TITLE="Locate Doom .wad file"  #Window title of file selector
FILE_FILTER="*.wad"            #Filter on displayed files
LAUNCH="./prboom"              #Command to run after script is finished

if ! ls $TARGET
then
    FILE=`zenity --title "$TITLE" --file-selection --file-filter "$FILE_FILTER"`
    if [ $? != 0 ]; then exit; fi
    cp $FILE $TARGET
fi

exec $LAUNCH
I'm assuming that anything written to the . local directory by this script will go to the correct appdata/ directory automatically?

This script can also be adapted in various ways, you could run checksums to make sure the file is correct, for example.

Note:
FILE_FILTER takes the form: (Filetype description | ) filter1 (filter2 filter3 ...)
So for example: "Archives (zip/rar/7z) | *.zip *.rar *.7z"

A few of us do this, and I consider it 'good pnd form' when time permits. ie: Hatari will prompt "hey, you'r emissing TOS, put it here /foo" rather than just silently exit.

Hopefully a lot of 'best practices' will come up over the next little while..

I put in some in the pnd dev wiki; ie: always include documentation if theres any setup for your application at all; its automatically handled so you just supply a file and a line in the PXML, so every non-trivial app should have a documentation entry in the xfce and minimenu menus. Stuff like that, hopefulyl will catch on :)

jeff

skeezix said:
A few of us do this, and I consider it 'good pnd form' when time permits. ie: Hatari will prompt "hey, you'r emissing TOS, put it here /foo" rather than just silently exit.
While that's certainly better, I think actually prompting for the file and copying it automatically is probably best, as there are various different ways someone could get confused even by that message.

I put in some in the pnd dev wiki; ie: always include documentation if theres any setup for your application at all; its automatically handled so you just supply a file and a line in the PXML, so every non-trivial app should have a documentation entry in the xfce and minimenu menus. Stuff like that, hopefulyl will catch on :)
I certainly think something integrated into libpnd would be very nice, although as I said above, it would probably have to be more complex than just a documentation dialog.

Shoving READMEs in people's faces will probably go a long way to helping, but it's still not exactly "professional". ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back