Questions about Pyra

S

Spirit

So, as I was looking at lists of home and handheld consoles (planning to collect them) I saw the Pandora. The concept is just amazing. A PC with a gamepad essentially. Then I found a review with a guy who got his 1Ghz model and was very disappointed when he couldn't even play his N64 emulator. BUT! I found out about Pyra.

Now. Pyra is going to much faster and able to handle more powerful emulators right? What do you think are general specs (CPU Speed, RAM, GPU) or comparisons to some a nooby PC gamer would understand? Will it still have a similar design (cuz that's like the best part)? All in all, would it serve as almost a replacement for a school laptop? I don't start college until after summer and will have some cash to get a laptop if I need it alongside my PC. Do you think I could just get this and slap OpenOffice onto it?

The whole concept of it is really awesome but I need to be sure it's what I expect so as to not be disappointed and have to get rid of it.

Just found the specs lol. Looks pretty capable I suppose. BTW you capcha is a pain in the butt.

The review you found seems pretty outdated. N64 is playable and enjoyable on a Gigahertz model. You can even play some PSP games. LibreOffice is already available on the Pandora too. If you want some video of the Pandora in action, go to the youtube channel of Ingoreis, there are pleinty of them...

Even on my CC Pandora (the Version whit the 600 mhz+ and the 256mb ram) dos the N64 Emulator works great: i can Play Mario 64, the Zelda Games, Smash Bros, Pilot Wings etc,

Only some Games like Blastcorbs and Concers Bad Furday dosnt work..

Its works great to write something in Shool, but mybe your faster if you write by Hands

The Batterielive Time is also great

But i would buy now one of the last GHZ Modells, or a Pyra because some Task need a lot more Power

Also the Pyra will have a 5 ^* Screen, whyle its could be a bit smal on the Pandora..

For "nooby' pc gamers i can say this: Power means NOTHING when it comes to emulation. Carefully adjusted software can squeeze a lot more power out of the specs. 

Or in other words if you use the same emulators on any android tablet or a pc with the exact same specs as the pandora they will run a lot slower. 

What emulators we finally end with on the pyra depends on how good our code wizards are and how complicated the emulated system is and that is not really predictable. 

You guys have been pretty helpful. On a 5'' screen I should be able to type stuff up pretty decently as I can on my PS Vita. Do you think the Pyra would be capable of emulating a PS2 or Dreamcast in the future? Not that PS1 and Super Nintendo won't keep me busy of course :D

Dang I was really digging that Crash of the Titans lol

I made an account :D this is something I will be following.

Hopefully it won't be too expensive and I can get it after checking a review or two.

I have a question about the Pyra.

I have a pandora and I love the pandora repo and most of the programs/apps there...

Will the Pyra be able to use/run those PND files?

I'd hate to see all those programs go to waste.

I have a question about the Pyra.

I have a pandora and I love the pandora repo and most of the programs/apps there...

Will the Pyra be able to use/run those PND files?

I'd hate to see all those programs go to waste.
Quick answer would be It's possible, but maybe not out of the box. the Pandora OS uses soft-float libraries(armel) and all programs are compiled to that, the Pyra will be using Hard-Float libraries(armhf), which is faster and the direction that most ARM Linux distributions are going. It may be possible to create a compatibility layer, but someone would have to develop it.

The good news is most of the software porters for the Pandora will migrate to the Pyra and since most things should be fairly easy to port over.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its works great to write something in Shool, but mybe your faster if you write by Hands
I've found this to be not the case. I use my pandora as a mobile word processor.. I've typed over 200 pages of stories on it and countless words.  I've a very strong advocate for the pandora and I eagerly await the pyra. Hell the pyra will replace my phone when it comes out.  Many people don't like the pandora from what I can grasp.. or maybe i'm viewing their negativity as too strong. Me I'm the opposite I prefer the pandora keyboard. It took me two weeks to get use to it but I can type just as fast on it as I can any laptop. The pandora and pyra are systems you purchase for the allure of gaming yet you suddenly find a practical use that outweighs the gaming elements... Or at least in my case. My fiance uses her for music and with its battery life she's constantly forgetting to charge it and its still able to play music. 

The pandora is in my eyes is everything the netbook craze promised yet fell flat on its face with.. and the Pyra will do everything we dreamed of it doing. In nooby computer laptop terms... Forget the specs of power, it doesn't matter. Once the hardwares out the community will kick up and things will  get fine tuned to levels of unimaginable. Theres minecraft working on the 1ghz... I eagerly await the pyra.  I can't wait for the ability to watch youtube.. (or more realistically with my data limits download the videos and watch latter.) The Pyra will be epic...

I find handwriting also faster, but mainly because I write down ideas with arrows and the layout is part of the idea. In my chaotic mind, I go back often to update parts, add another point, or square (if it is a todo item. Then I can check it if it is done)

Transcribing that into an email takes lots more time of course. I tried Cellwriter for a while, but even though it generates good ascii (I love the OCR capabilities it has), it felt slower than typing on the keyboard. (otoh, Ill introduce Cellwriter to my daughter soon to see if it is more fun than writing letters on paper)

The Pyra will be epic...
Yes... yes it will...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, would it be possible to make a Pandora "emulator" for the Pyra. Like "Wine" but for the Pyra so that way the PND files don't have to be ported?

Hi, would it be possible to make a Pandora "emulator" for the Pyra. Like "Wine" but for the Pyra so that way the PND files don't have to be ported?
That is what TrashyMG was suggesting (above) when he brought up a compatibility layer. I am hoping/expecting something like GINGE to be developed to allow for Pandora apps to run on Pyra

That is what TrashyMG was suggesting (above) when he brought up a compatibility layer. I am hoping/expecting something like GINGE to be developed to allow for Pandora apps to run on Pyra
Thanks for the info Edgex. I downloaded Ginge. What does it do?

I hope the Pyra does get something like what you and Trash are talking about!

Back