Quake Mods

mods work i think, but text mode quake is not just a mod, its a modified client... so you would have to port this one over to gp2x to get it working.

I don't think it would look very well... aa lib only makes sence in a terminal and with fixed font sizes. Since you have a really giant setting of fonts in the gp2x terminal (well that freshly released sterm one) it would look crappy. You could ofcourse pipe it into something else, like a different app that renders the text but then you would have to scale it down a lot to fit the screen without looking all too awkwardly... too bad actually... this would be really funny. BTW: Ever tried that aa-lib driven dvd program? if not, then you should!

I've tried the reaper bot and it works. What other mods are worth installing?

southpaw posted on Mar 27 2006 at 05:07 PM said:
what would a script look like exactly for trying to run a mod (specifically quake rally)?

In all likelihood:

./quake -game rally

.. if your executable is named Quake and your mod's folder is 'rally'.

Last edited by a moderator:
southpaw posted on Mar 28 2006 at 02:25 AM said:
dammit its not working. i put the 'rally' folder in the 'quake' folder and made a .gpe file in programmers notepad with exactly what you said. it doesnt work.
Did you also check that your executable is called quake like he told you to? Chances are it isn't (the default executable name is quake.gpe).

If you want to use ./quake.gpe -game etc... then you should also make sure the script you are creating is in the same folder as quake.gpe otherwise it won't find it. You should also read the instructions for the mod as you might need to pass more to the exe (sometimes +map mapname is needed for example).

If you still can't get it to work, please explain what you mean by 'doesn't work'. Black screen, mod not loading and normal quake playing instead, not playing correct levels etc. are all examples of 'doesn't work' but are all very different problems to solve. Sometimes you'll find a mod that just won't load no matter what you do, but rally should work fine (but slow) .There are a few different versions of rally around though and I think some perform better than others.

i just get a black screen. i pasted everything from the zip file into the quake folder. qrally.exe, button.wav, and rally folder which has several files inlcuding the pak files.

In its own directory? If it's just sitting in /quake/ it cannot be distinguished from anything else, it must be in a folder with the SAME NAME As what you put after the "-game" parameter. That's why pak0.pak and pak1.pak reside in ID1; the Quake engine loads -game id1 if you don't specify your own.

So your directory structure is going to need to look like this:

/quake/
/quake/quake.gpe
/quake/id1/pak0.pak
/quake/id1/pak1.pak
/quake/rally/pak0.pak
.. or..
/quake/rally/progs/beefsteak.mdl
/quake/rally/progs/mecharadish.spr
/quake/rally/sound/cars/splode.wav

.. so on and so forth. It is a DISTINCT POSSIBILITY that the current port of PocketQuake to the '2x does not support reading mods that use an assortment of files in a directory in folders like /rally/progs, /rally/gfx, /rally/sound ... most mods package their files into PAK files for a more organized approach, and PocketQuake may demand that. In which case you must have a mod with PAK files, or make your own. There are programs that can add files to PAKs like QuArK (http://www.planetquake.com/quark) but operating that program is like learning how to effectively feed a shark from 4 inches away without getting your hand bitten off (though it's a useful tool once you get the hang of it..)

HydraLancer could tell you definitively if mods need to be PAK'ed, as he's tested Armor of Acheron with success on the '2x with the PocketQuake port.

Oops. :) A mod simply loads the files with the same name in the PLACE of the original files from the id1 PAK files while adding anything that doesn't have the same name from id1. If you don't have the original id1 content very few mods will still function. (Almost none.)

Doh! :)

Glad you got it working.

You might (if you're lucky) get away with just having pak0.pak from the original game as I removed the check for whatever that file is called in pak1.pak that's supposed to be available to allow mods to work.

Epicenter: mods don't need to be pak'd to work. Seperate files work just as well.

woogal posted on Mar 28 2006 at 03:42 PM said:
Doh! :)

Glad you got it working.

You might (if you're lucky) get away with just having pak0.pak from the original game as I removed the check for whatever that file is called in pak1.pak that's supposed to be available to allow mods to work.

Epicenter: mods don't need to be pak'd to work. Seperate files work just as well.

Pak1.pak is needed for tons of mods though that utilize non-shareware aspects of the game. Monsters like the Enforcer, the Shalrath/Vore, some of the various models and projectiles etc. used by these monsters, tons of sounds, etc. are in PAK1 and can be relied on by mods. Pak0 has the most essential stuff though, so most mods should run with just the shareware Quake distribution.

AirQuake is a lot of fun. Reaperbot is pretty cool, though the bots aren't very intelligent. "The Ultimate Weapons Mod" a.k.a. "Ultimate Quake" is very fun, but it might lag a LOT on the '2x.

If I REMEMBER I will release a progs.dat optimized for the '2x that won't lag so much-- there's a good bit of fat you can trim really.

Back