Quake Already Ported To Gp2x?

Cahaz

On the News page of gp32x, there's a link to a thread called 'quake already ported to gp2x'
but i can't access it, it gives me an error, they say i'm not allowed to view the page and blabla...

So, is it true? Any links, photos, Informations?

Thx.

Cahaz

Last edited by a moderator:
There is, now that he sorta mentioned it, already a project underway that has ported quake and quake world to Linux/SDL

http://www.quakeforge.net/files.php

The have an SDL software rendering version available (also an SDL sw 32bpp version and an sdl ogl version).

given that the gp2x uses SDL, this is the key.

They are also porting quake 2 to SDL currently, quake2forge on teh same page, (if you recall teh base software rendering reqs for q2 were 166mhz, possibly even within the capabilities of the gp2x's arm processor.)

Oh, is the project advanced to the point that you can run it without any big problems?

I just can't wait to see what Quake 1 / 2 would look like on gp2x hardware, with the controls and all.

Supposedly the current version of quakeforge (5.5 released 2004) works without issue.

Porting the controls would be trivial.

the left knob could be for looking around, asnd the abxy controls could be for straffe left / right and move forward backward, and the r trigger fire, left trigger jump and then the on/off button could be for god mode. :)

wild_eyed posted on Sep 24 2005 at 06:37 AM said:
the left knob could be for looking around, asnd the abxy controls could be for straffe left / right and move forward backward, and the r trigger fire, left trigger jump and then the on/off button could be for god mode. :)
Sounds good to me :lol:

Nah, Left to Look, Right to Walk, R to shoot, L for '2nd'. '2nd'+ R to jump, '2nd'+ X for previous weapon, '2nd'+Y for next weapon, and we can do something with select. Start is for pausing, of course. :p

Joystick for aim, ABXY for movement, R for primary and L for jump, volume for selecting weapons, select for secodary and start for menu.

If it was Marathon we can skip the jump button and use L for secondary so you get 1 trigger for each pistol and shotgun and then we use select for action.

As long as it's only singleplayer we could always pause the game and open up an inventory with some button.

Given what I have heard about the gp2x, it's hard to say if that is the case, or if that was a suggestion to the development comunity.

I have seen it stated that the quake1 engine would be the engine of choice if someone wanted to make their own software rendered 3d game for the gp2x, because of it's fast and lightweight nature (and oh the nostalgia.)

and knowing that a SDL rendered port is available (that compiles cleanly in linux as I just saw) means that there is little or no barrier for development.

GBAX did indeed suggest using the engine, and I guess someone took that to heart. Here's what apparently caused the confusion.

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=20824

There was no private conversation apparently, but someone believes they were told it would be happening... of course it might not since the person involved seens to have no recollection, but that dosent make the possibility of it in the future any more improbable.

Squidge posted on Sep 25 2005 at 04:31 PM said:
Check my webpage :)
do you think that it will run quicker than the excellent Zodiac version?

Squidge posted on Sep 25 2005 at 04:41 PM said:
At the moment? No, eventually? certainly.

must hold off from,pre ordering, must hold off....... grrrrrr Once the GP2x is up and running and faster than me Zodiac (all apps not just quake) then time to buy.

nice work Squide.

Back