Caanoo / WIZ Quake 1 (Nanogl) Caanoo

Pickle

Mega GP Mania
Website
Visit site
Got it running tonight, looks good.
Test run got 25 fps, I think the wiz had ~20?

Memory increase is paying off I was able to bump the texture size to 256 (from 128) so theres less blur.
I need to get the analog stick added, its not doing anything through gpio.

And I remember someone saying the extra ram wouldn't come in handy. :D

Edit: Good work pickle!

As I'm trying to gain as much knowledge as possible on game porting, what does nanogl offer that your Wiz version doesn't. Does it strictly pertain to the graphics?

Orion4874 said:
As I'm trying to gain as much knowledge as possible on game porting, what does nanogl offer that your Wiz version doesn't. Does it strictly pertain to the graphics?

AFAIK nanoGL is an API emulation layer that lets you run things written with openGL on openGLES hardware.

Or I could be completely wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pickle said:
Got it running tonight, looks good.
Test run got 25 fps, I think the wiz had ~20?

You get ~29 fps on the Wiz using the build-in benchmark (level 1) at 533MHz with firmware 1.2.1, RAM tweaks activated and default config file.
Without RAM tweak you get ~25 fps.

b1ueskycomp1ex said:
Orion4874 said:

AFAIK nanoGL is an API emulation layer that lets you run things written with openGL on openGLES hardware.

You're more or less correct apart from mentioning emulation :p. As far as I now NanoGL is a wrapper around OpenGL ES implementing the full (or most of it) OpenGL API.

nanoGL does simulate opengl functions with opengles, its not complete and has only worked with quake engines and variants.

@orion theres really not much different, except an increase in texture size. For nanogl is exactly the same.

@blusesky the extra memory is onw reason I want to try some of things out, i expect it going to allow quake2 (with nanogl) now.

@sbock thanks for finding the old numbers, so it look like its the same performance which isnt hard to expect

SteveM said:
Did you manage to get a working crosstool-ng config or is this built with some existing tool chain?

im using gph linux toolchain, i didnt get crosstool-ng working anyway. And i dont really want to spend time reinventing the wheel.

Hi Pickle just wondering how you were able to get Quake 1 running on Caanoo? Just got mine yesterday and don't have any games to play on it yet.

Had Quake running on the Wiz but don't have a clue how i'd convert it to work on the Caanoo?

tao76 said:
Hi Pickle just wondering how you were able to get Quake 1 running on Caanoo? Just got mine yesterday and don't have any games to play on it yet.

Had Quake running on the Wiz but don't have a clue how i'd convert it to work on the Caanoo?

i recompiled it

Update: tried ioquake2 tonight, and i get an error with the 1D memory...not a good sign, maybe not enough memory still.

Pickle said:
i recompiled it

Update: tried ioquake2 tonight, and i get an error with the 1D memory...not a good sign, maybe not enough memory still.

How do you go about recompiling? sorry a complete newbie at this stuff. Would love to get into the developing side of things but just don't have any experience at it and don't really know where to start.

Also why won't ioquake2 work on the Caanoo when it used to work on the Wiz?

Sorry for the questions just still really new at all this. And nice to see you are remaking Pirates. Loved that game on the Amiga.

tao76 said:
Pickle said:
i recompiled it

How do you go about recompiling? sorry a complete newbie at this stuff. Would love to get into the developing side of things but just don't have any experience at it and don't really know where to start.

Also why won't ioquake2 work on the Caanoo when it used to work on the Wiz?

Sorry for the questions just still really new at all this. And nice to see you are remaking Pirates. Loved that game on the Amiga.

sorry im not going to dive into the development in this thread. look around there are a few getting started with programing threads.

your refering to the sw sdl render which does work on the caanoo (super slow), im refering to using nanogl to run ioquake2 with opengles acceleration.

Peter R said:
b1ueskycomp1ex said:
Orion4874 said:

You're more or less correct apart from mentioning emulation :p . As far as I now NanoGL is a wrapper around OpenGL ES implementing the full (or most of it) OpenGL API.

Emulating. As in imitating, acting like, matching or surpassing - API emulation

It seems fairly accurate to me.

It doesn't really fit the description of an emulator in the context it is usually used in when talking about software on here. Which is in the context of emulating an entire system so that machine code for that system can be run by the emulator.

NanoGL is just a library of wrapper functions to make porting OGL apps to OGL es easier and so doesn't really fit with this definition of an emulator.

You are right that emulation is a perfectly valid way to describe what it does in terms of the raw meaning of the word in the English language.

Peter R said:
It doesn't really fit the description of an emulator in the context it is usually used in when talking about software on here. Which is in the context of emulating an entire system so that machine code for that system can be run by the emulator.

NanoGL is just a library of wrapper functions to make porting OGL apps to OGL es easier and so doesn't really fit with this definition of an emulator.

You are right that emulation is a perfectly valid way to describe what it does in terms of the raw meaning of the word in the English language.

Ah, I see what you mean.

Back