Beta Qtspotify

back to report! with premium it signs in okay and searches work, however despite saying songs are playing, no sound plays

QIconvCodec::convertFromUnicode: using ASCII for conversion, iconv_open failed
QIconvCodec::convertToUnicode: using ASCII for conversion, iconv_open failed
unable to set hw parameters: Invalid argument

Did some searching, the last line seems to be a warning. I don't have the source in front of me, but I found this: http://qt.gitorious.org/qt-labs/qtspotify/commit/e33b15c0bd75c1a115bf4d9f4159839368cceb13?diffmode=sidebyside

That suggest this lack of audio is as simple as qtspotify wanting features our alsa doesn't support, or something. Can you pastebin the audiooutpuut.cpp in your build?

EDIT: Looked around a little and compared with alsa init code I know works. Could you try replacing "SND_PCM_FORMAT_S16" with "SND_PCM_FORMAT_S16_LE" on line 33 in audiooutput.cpp and upload that? That's the only difference I can find compared to my working init code :eek:

EDIT2: Also, I'm kinda creeped out by those last two arguments on line 40, could you replace them with 44100, 0?

slaeshjag said:
EDIT: Looked around a little and compared with alsa init code I know works. Could you try replacing "SND_PCM_FORMAT_S16" with "SND_PCM_FORMAT_S16_LE" on line 33 in audiooutput.cpp and upload that? That's the only difference I can find compared to my working init code :eek:

EDIT2: Also, I'm kinda creeped out by those last two arguments on line 40, could you replace them with 44100, 0?
Argument 3 of snd_pcm_hw_params_set_rate_near have to be unsigned int* so I left the &m_bitrate there.
Otherwise, I did your change in the newly updated PND.

Last edited by a moderator:
meandu229 said:
laurens said:
Awesome, will try it later when I'm at home - and hope it works with Spotify Unlimited too...
Let us know how you get on

Just from my reading regarding the Spotify native Linux client, which presumably relies on this Spotify-released library, unlimited users as well as premium users can make use of it.

Dead1nside said:
Just from my reading regarding the Spotify native Linux client, which presumably relies on this Spotify-released library, unlimited users as well as premium users can make use of it.
The official spotify linux client use libspotify which is close source and the binary is x86 only.
Alternatives clients (qtspotify is one of them) use libdespotify which is opensource.
none of these allow (these features exist only for iphone and windows) :
- free user
- local download
libdespotify also only support unlimited client. (I think this is some kind of a deal between the despotify team and the spotify company, dont quote me on that though)

EDIT: this is from my reading not out of my experience : I cant use spotify (not supported where I live)

sebt3 said:
The official spotify linux client use libspotify which is close source and the binary is x86 only.

EDIT: this is from my reading not out of my experience : I cant use spotify (not supported where I live)

It certainly is closed source, but you can still use the API. They recently announced that it now supports ARM, so that's what I was basing my information from. I didn't see any real hurdle with open source clients using the official libspotify, as they're not commercial and can just call the library. Distributing the library I don't know though.

Gave this a whirl as hadn't heard of Spotify (yes I live under a rock, or at least on Pandora forums), so I got a premium account to test this.

Whilst this certainly runs and is a brilliant addition to the Pandora (though rather ugly), I'm finding that its not very useable as if I pause, or try to skip a track, thats it and the playback ceases entirely. In addition the now playing screen is too large to reach the buttons once album art appears and shift-clicking to move it around also ceases the playback.

It wont support Bluetooth streaming to speakers either but it seems only Exaile does at present.

Is anyone else getting this crash like behaviour? Is there a way to implement Bluetooth like Exaile? Is their a nicer frontend?

As I'm not asking much, is there a god? Could Sebt3 please port him? :)

Implementing playback to a bluetooth headset shouldn't be too difficult to implement if it doesn't support it already, as long as the bluetooth headset exists as a alsa device.

Back