Qemu+winflp Feasible On Pandora?

sold

songs in the key of AAAAAARRRGH!
I've been looking at qemu as a way of running windows for legacy PCs on pandora just for fun. The system requirements are 300mhz Pentium class processor or higher, 128MB of ram, and 1GB hard drive space and 800 x 600 screen resolution or higher. Does anyone think it would work at a reasonable speed? I don't expect it to work great, but it would be cool to see it running better than win95 has on psp.

This has been discussed many times. If you're interest is to run Solitaire or Minesweeper, then yes, it might run adequately, eventually. Not right away, but maybe someday.
Anything beyond that is a pipe dream.

I've used Qemu on an old Imac to emulate DOS and it was slow...

Don't know if it would be any faster than DosBox, love to hear if it is.

WizardStan said:
This has been discussed many times. If you're interest is to run Solitaire or Minesweeper, then yes, it might run adequately, eventually. Not right away, but maybe someday.
Anything beyond that is a pipe dream.
Yes, it is the geek dream to buy a £200 cutting edge handheld to emulate a 13 year old operating system in order to play the built-in virtual card-game.

£1 for a pack of cards? Screw that, it's just not geeky enough!

Last edited by a moderator:
Running qemu in usermode (emulating just the cpu, not an entire computer) to run wine (like the darwine project did back when macs were ppc) is probably the cheapest way to run windows software. That doesn't mean it won't run as slow as molases. Cause it will.

And I'm not even sure qemu ARM host works nowadays.

I realise there have been posts about qemu or bochs running some version of windows, I'm specifically asking about peoples' opinions of the potential performance in comparison to the psp (which ran win95 surprisingly well considering the hardware).

sold said:
I'm specifically asking about peoples' opinions of the performance in comparison to the psp (which ran win95 surprisingly well considering the hardware).
If you consider 20 min. boot times and single digit frame rates with no programs loaded to be "running well", then you'll be ecstatic with Win95 performance on the Pandora :D

Windows emulated
And I bet it'd run much better than Qemu or Bochs. :p

We should just write a two page SDL app that shows a typical bluescreen. Then we can see Windows is emulated :)

jeff

Nope, not feasible.

However, for future referance WFLP is just Microsofts way to distract you from Nlite for XP.

I tried FLP and it was no good at all.

Just get win2000 SP4, it is fully compatible with XP because it is the same kernel (except for stuff like WMP11 and stupid DRM).

I really don't think this will be at all useful, I doubt that even win95 will be much faster than a 486, if even that quick.

Remember that the hurdles are processing power and RAM. Nobody should run XP (even FLP) in 128MB of ram, and emulating it in 128MB of ram is just poor taste.

I have run Qemu and Win98 on the Xbox, it wasn't pretty. All that work and about all it is good for is playing solitare :rolleyes:

I understand how cool this is to people, but we should probably let go of this dream now. Let's be forward looking - to a Linux future.

WizardStan said:
Windows emulated

I did this a few months ago. Works good. Can't get it onto my 2X though :(

A QEMU port would be nice, but as a long time Mac user, I'd have to say I'd rather Basilisk II or SheepShaver ;)

PlopperZ said:
WizardStan said:
Windows emulated

I did this a few months ago. Works good. Can't get it onto my 2X though :(

A QEMU port would be nice, but as a long time Mac user, I'd have to say I'd rather Basilisk II or SheepShaver ;)

I had to do this for my sister a few months back so she could play Kings Quest 6.
There were a surprising number of good games for 3.1, now that I think about it.
I was going to say "hey, wouldn't it be great to play Myst on the go?!?!" but just did a quick google search to check the specs required and noted that a DS version already exists. I'm a day late and a dollar short, apparently.
Maybe there are some other low spec win3.1 games that can be run in DosBox. Anyone considered this?

Back