Installing Pandora on Qemu ARM?

Kelvin

Pixel Mercenary
Website
www.kelvinshadewing.net
So, I got all three firmware files, and I installed Qemu, but now what? There doesn't seem to be an iso file, so I'm not sure what to use as an install disc, and since Qemu has no graphical interface, I'm not sure where to go from here. Do I need to pack the files into an iso somehow? Are there any guides to this? I've searched all over, but I just find info about running Qemu on Pandora, or installing other OSs that come very different. Any help would be greatly appreciated; much as I love the Pandora itself; I prefer using my normal laptop for typing lots of code, and would like to test Pandora apps on it while I'm at home.

Hm i tried this for a while but failed. You need a very complicated terminal foo to set up the virtual machine in a way that the image understands it. 

I think the pandora is close to the beagle board hardware wise so using the configs for their image is a start. But that is not part of the default qemu installation. 

I found a fork which not only included that hardware but also emulated gles and neo stuff. I think it was from the maemo guys. 

Plan B: Copy the qemu ARM-abi into the image, that will allow you to use chroot and simply log in there. That is very easy but also rather pointless since its terminal only. 

Plan C: get an ARM image specially made for quemu, replace its root FS with parts of the image. 

Just dump the firmware archive somewhere where you can use it, it basically is already "installed".

For user space emulation it's as simple as extracting the firmware to a folder and passing Qemu its path.

"terminal foo"? "beagle board"? "chroot"? I'm sorry, I'm new to the whole system emulation thing; I've only ever emulated Ubuntu on VirtualBox and Windows XP on Pandora's Qemu, and I was able to set that up easily because it had a GUI. I read the user space emulation doc, but I don't get it. Anyone got an idiot's guide?

[EDIT]
I found an ARM image, so now I guess I just have to put the rootfs on somehow, right? Though I take it in order to open this image, I'd need an ARM system. Also, it's only a few megabytes, so is there some way to resize it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't bother. It's going to be way too complex if you're not familiar with a lot of it.

Learn everything first :)

Last edited by a moderator:
At least the chroot method is not complex, but i doubt that you gain much by that. Just a terminal with arm emulation without graphics. 

Don't bother. It's going to be way too complex if you're not familiar with a lot of it.

Learn everything first :)

That doesn't help at all. I asked for information, and all you told me was to get information. :/

Umm, I have something to ask. Can we actually run x86 Debian terminal on qemu?

Umm, I have something to ask. Can we actually run x86 Debian terminal on qemu?
I can create a Debian Qemu Image when you want.

Its just an mininimal Image with only the X86 Debian Terminal.

And i can activate Lan for it.

Nice Idea,should i try to make a X86 Debian PND?

Hi little Report:

I managed to get Debian Terminal Running but this Image is around 1.6GB Big.

Too Big.(DebianX86 Base Image only with Terminal)

I will try it next Time to make smaller and then will i upload it for you :)

Hi little Report:

I managed to get Debian Terminal Running but this Image is around 1.6GB Big.

Too Big.(DebianX86 Base Image only with Terminal)

I will try it next Time to make smaller and then will i upload it for you :)

Thanks a lot!

Back