Pyra touchscreen - no longer working/recognized

the_marshal

Very Active Member
I received my Pyra yesterday and the Touchscreen was working as expected. (was able to calibrate in the initial setup...).

Today, I noticed the Touchscreen wasn't responsive and when opening "Calibrate Touchscreen" I get "Error: No calibratable devices Found". I tried a few things:

* Rebooting the Pyra (including removing the battery)
* Tried booting from "pyra-36.img" and "pyra-38.img" image (without re-flashing)
* Tried re-flashing using "pyra-38-install.img"

Initially thought it was likely a software issue considering is was working fine earlier (and I upgraded using "apt-get dist-upgrade") but now it's not clear at all.

Anybody else ran into similar issue ? Thanks.

I recall that grit sometimes fell between the bezel and screen on pandoras and permanently activated the touchscreen. Not saying thats a Pyra problem but its all i can think of.

I recall that grit sometimes fell between the bezel and screen on pandoras and permanently activated the touchscreen. Not saying thats a Pyra problem but its all i can think of.

This kind of physical issue can happen with touchscreen, however I think this can be ruled out here because the Touchscreen device is not being recognized.

So I think it's either:
- Some form of Hardware issue: connector or worse - anything that would result it it no longer being recognized
- Software issue. Considering I've tried re-flashing I am not sure how likely this is, I would say unlikely if other Pyra owner don't have the same issue with "pyra-38-install.img"

1622628573946.png

Evildragon helping on IRC

<@EvilDragon> the_marshal: The cause could be:
<@EvilDragon> 1. The connecting cable between the LCD PCB and the mainboard is not properly plugged in. Either in the mainboard or the LCD PCB.
<@EvilDragon> 2. The LCD driver chip is broken for some reason. I don't think it's the connection between the touchscreen and the LCD PCB - because in that case, the system would find the touchscreen but it wouldn't react.
<@EvilDragon> The LCD Cable could also be damaged, of course. We're still trying to figure out how to best assemble the unit :)
<@EvilDragon> That all looks okay, yes. Maybe it's the touchscreen inside the base part of the Pyra.

No luck so far, will probably keep it as-is for now

Yes, I think that thinner sideways orange flex pcb cable is the touchscreen one in your photo. Seems plugged in from that, although you could always tug it and see if it pops out.

Assuming the machine is booting up properly, I'd expect a note in your dmesg when it tries to detect the touchscreen that it's configured for but suddenly can't find. Have you checked your dmesg yet?

Assuming the machine is booting up properly, I'd expect a note in your dmesg when it tries to detect the touchscreen that it's configured for but suddenly can't find. Have you checked your dmesg yet?
Could be or maybe some log is simply missing, I had a quick look but I don't know exactly what I am looking for TBH.

Sharing my Pyra dmesg if someone what to have a look.

Attachments

• dmesg_pyra.txt
    38 KB · Views: 164
Yeah, I can't see any touchscreen related messages in your dmesg. Could you to an 'ls -R /dev/input' to see what you have that's been configured and recognised. Perhaps it's got that far, but the problem is later.

You can generally debug these things by sudo catting them into a terminal. On this machine I have that doesn't have a touchscreen, both sudo cat /dev/input/mice and sudo cat /dev/input/mouse0 present a string of unicode unknown characters when I move left on my mouse or down and deletes them when I move right or up. You could use this to distinguish between your nubs and other devices in your input tree.

Code:
/dev/input:
accel  antenna-detect  aux  by-path  event0  event1  event10  event11  event12  event2  event3  event4  event5  event6  event7  event8  event9  js0  js1  js2  js3  keyboard  mice  mouse0  power  rumble

/dev/input/by-path:
platform-48060000.i2c-event                                                      platform-48072000.i2c-event             platform-pyra-lid-wakeup-event  platform-user-buttons-event
platform-48070000.i2c-platform-48070000.i2c:palmas@48:palmas_power_button-event  platform-pyra-game-buttons-event-mouse  platform-sound-event

Number of things exposed here, note I've got the Mobile version. "accel" must be the Accelerometer.
No idea how the Touchscreen would normally appear.

My dmesg contains the line

- "input: TSC2007 Touchscreen as /devices/platform/44000000.ocp/48000000.interconnect/48000000.interconnect:segment@0/4807a000.target-module/4807a000.i2c/i2c-3/3-0048/input/input4"

which I could not find in your output.

In "/dev/input" there is a device node " touchscreen"

And i have two other inputs:
- platform-4a064c00.ehci-usb-0:2.1.4.2:1.0-event-mouse
- platform-4a064c00.ehci-usb-0:2.1.4.2:1.0-mouse

Thomas

My dmesg contains the line

- "input: TSC2007 Touchscreen as /devices/platform/44000000.ocp/48000000.interconnect/48000000.interconnect:segment@0/4807a000.target-module/4807a000.i2c/i2c-3/3-0048/input/input4"

which I could not find in your output.

In "/dev/input" there is a device node " touchscreen"

And i have two other inputs:
- platform-4a064c00.ehci-usb-0:2.1.4.2:1.0-event-mouse
- platform-4a064c00.ehci-usb-0:2.1.4.2:1.0-mouse

Thanks ;) As expected, missing device.

Maybe something on the Display board failed... I don't know. This seems more likely to me that the display cable (as Display is fine) but who knows.
Replacing the display board PCB, which costs ~5EUR according to Evildragon, seems a good way forward. That might just fix the issue.

My Pyra is otherwise fully functional so I'll probably deal with this later. I am not in a hurry ;)
Hopefully this doesn't turn out to be a common issue. If other Pyra owner run into this, let us known.

Last edited:
Back