Pyra, low specs and high price. Dead before it even releases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do they?  I thought image burn in was a result of using phosphors to create the light, which even 1080p screens don't do, and chroma abberation requires colours to be spread to the wrong pixels, which sounds like an addressing issue which would affect images drastically.  How do you suspect these issues come about in these LCD panels?
I don't know about current generation high density phone displays, but the Wiz was prone to burn-in.

I can understand some of the OP's frustration, where other mobile devices prove that the technology in Pyra could be better, but that's just tough luck and just how the world works. No one wants to sell their shiny smart phone SoC and fancy display (although I agree with others here that 1440P is overkill while 720P is more or less fine and certainly wouldn't be "necessary" for 3DS emulation even if that became a thing) Right now a lot of people are still using and loving their Pandoras and wouldn't think of trying to replace them with a phone or tablet or such because while yes, they're a lot more powerful, there are too many other compromises. The controller attachments don't cut it, nothing offers both the form factor + quality that the Pandora does, nor the keyboard. iCP2 would have come the closest but that ship sailed.

A Pyra is simply going to be better than Pandora in virtually every way, so it's obvious that among the people who still use Pandora it'll be an interesting upgrade. ED (and hns) isn't making Pyra to try to capture a big new market, he's making it to capture a limited market he knows wants it, and above all he's making it because it's the device he wants to make.

funny how y'all just keep giving him what he wants.
You shouldn't assume threads are trolling just because the author says something controversial or seems hostile to the forum, or because it seems obvious to you that no one would actually post this.

Do they?  I thought image burn in was a result of using phosphors to create the light, which even 1080p screens don't do, and chroma abberation requires colours to be spread to the wrong pixels, which sounds like an addressing issue which would affect images drastically.  How do you suspect these issues come about in these LCD panels?
I don't know about current generation high density phone displays, but the Wiz was prone to burn-in.
Ah, that's interesting - although it's worth noting that the Wiz used an OLED screen, not a high-res LCD one.  I hadn't learned before about OLED degradation through usage before (though I do recall something about blues ageing more quickly than other OLED sub-pixels), thanks.

I still don't see any risk that any relatively mainstream 1080p LCD is subject to chroma aberration though, although I suppose some weird coating could induce that on consideration.  Transient image persistence (rather than permanent burn-in) could conceivably be an issue though I guess.

exophase, you are right, of course.

i never said he was trolling.

but:

Overall, the Pyra will just be dead upon release unless it gets serious spec upgrades. I was hyped when I heard that the Pandora was getting a successor, but it just seems like it'll be a major disappointment.
pretty much is trolling :)

his mind is made up. you all know you're right about what you said, but thats not gonna change his opinion.

Ah, that's interesting - although it's worth noting that the Wiz used an OLED screen, not a high-res LCD one.  I hadn't learned before about OLED degradation through usage before (though I do recall something about blues ageing more quickly than other OLED sub-pixels), thanks.

I still don't see any risk that any relatively mainstream 1080p LCD is subject to chroma aberration though, although I suppose some weird coating could induce that on consideration.  Transient image persistence (rather than permanent burn-in) could conceivably be an issue though I guess.
Bear in mind that Samsung Galaxy S6 uses an OLED display, along with most other high end Samsung phones I'm aware of. But I don't know if it suffers from any of the problems Wiz did.

The most funny part is how he says the Pyra will be dead to a bunch of people who would give ED their firstborns to get the Pyra.

But what would I do with so many kids? :eek:
Use their blood to dye the plastics (I heard blood's a great dye), the bones can be used for the key mats, and the rest can be sacrificed to the Greek gods.   :rolleyes:

Too dark? :huh:

-Glyph Reader

Use their blood to dye the plastics (I heard blood's a great dye), the bones can be used for the key mats, and the rest can be sacrificed to the Greek gods.   :rolleyes:

-Glyph Reader
Damn... I was just going to make a joke about child labor.

I'm at home with the flu. I needed a good laugh. Thank you   :D :D :D
Keep your virus away from ED and others working on the Pyra.  There are some Windows/Android/etc. devices over there you can put your virus/malware on instead.

Damn... I was just going to make a joke about child labor.
There are many ways to make use of the kids to lower the cost per unit.  Obviously training up the kids and putting them to work assembling the Pyras is one way.  Maybe you would be able to get the price down to around the same as if they were manufactured in China.  You could also sell the kids and put what you get toward the Pyras.  How much do organs go for now?  

I can think of worse that I won't mention.

Last edited by a moderator:
maybe two or three.... just in case....

one with an alumin shell ... one with a titanium shell...  you know.... in case we all need to hack the planet...or the solar system...

I hope they don't change the OS at the last minute... Install windows X with a cobbled on LOCKED UEFI bootloader...???

Last edited by a moderator:
There is also the topic of eminent war and great depression to consider... if one of those strikes, game over man, game over.

@Glypth: Yeah, a tad too dark. Besides the last  case E.D. showed us was white, just like bones, but brittle, just like from old people.

And to get red dye, it is gruesome and horrible for a little critter called Cochineal:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cochineal

...can be extracted from the body and eggs...

-Glyph Reader
Why sacrifiying to the greek gods, when we aren't using greek button layouts? The gods will be feel fooled!

not that it mattered in any way: but human sacrifice was already oldfashioned and uncommon in the ancient greek culture.

an analogy with mayan culture would have made a lot more sense...

never mind...

i think its time for a thread closure. we've had our trolling, we've had our laughs, we've had our jokes on child labor and dismembering children for parts 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back