Pyra as a diplay and controller for stick pc?

Is your sources in your git repository? May give it a go on the devboard.
No, I haven't forked it.
I know it runs ok on an Odroid XU4.

With gl4es, it should run mostly without changes (but be warned, there are many dependancies to build, and OSG is big).
Just don't compile the editor, as this one need Qt with OpenGL support.

@Truthwarrior : I'm a little confused about your question and the answers you received...

Do you want to know if you can plug that stick directly in the Pyra (without any other devices) ?
Or do you want to use the Pyra just as a remote controller while using the stick on another device ?

The title of the thread also mentions using the display. Based on that, and wanting to be able to travel light, I think it is closer to that first option. While not as easy, I think the Linux compatible USB capture card option will be the closest to that.

Perhaps a small, durable display with an HDMI port could work, depending on how it gets power (just use the Pyra for controls, once software is available). This has the added benefit of possibly being a larger screen to preserve the peepers, and dual screens could be useful for some tasks on the Pyra (we will be able to do that, right?).

Both of those should be less bulky and easier to lug around than a laptop, depending on the stuff you pick out. I didn't look into the games, but if you can somehow play (some of) those natively on the Pyra, leave the stick and portable display/tv card behind (even if you are usually out on patrol or doing convoys you should have somewhere that serves as "home"), and take the Pyra to keep you occupied in your down time. When you get back you can use the stick for games or software that require Windows.

but-why-meme-generator-but-why-84103d.jpg

@Truthwarrior : I'm a little confused about your question and the answers you received...

Do you want to know if you can plug that stick directly in the Pyra (without any other devices) ?
Or do you want to use the Pyra just as a remote controller while using the stick on another device ?
Ok so my question was, is their anyway I can use the Pyra as a controller and diplay for my stick pc. Its that simple. Whether I plug it in to the Pyra or use Bluetooth or some other device. Because this stick pc can and needs to hook up to any moniter , keyboard and mouse to be a fully functioning windows 10 pc. And the only reason I bought it was to play those few windows pc games while waiting on the Pyra to release. I don't have a laptop and im not spending money on one. I've been waiting for the Pyra for a few years now just like everyone else and I get by on my gpdxd. I hope this helps you understand my question.thank you.
[doublepost=1484185417,1484184888][/doublepost]
Maybe(!) OpenMW will be ported to pyra, so you can play Morrowind natively. It was already discussed here: https://www.pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/pyra-capabilities-open-morrowind.75510/
This is very good news for me thank you. I read that link a while back, wasn't sure if it was foreal. I'd rather wash my hands of windows, its just not what it used to be. Do you think open morrowind will run "decent" on the Pyra?

@Truthwarrior, I say the chances are fairly good, it's a game from 2002, I mean even the Pandora can play Serious Sam, Jedi Knight: Outcast and Academy after getting a lot of work from Ptitseb who made very good ports of these games. Morrowind is slightly more demanding than those games, but compared to the Pandora, the Pyra blows it out of the water, with a dual-core A15 processor and dual core GPU.

I'm starting to thing Trashy's first answer was probably the best - get a GPD Win (preferably from ED's dragonbox shop, he says innocently).
I will say this again. I'm not wasting money on a cheap made "locked up" product such as the GPD win especially when I've been saving money for this Pyra, even know im a newb at this computer stuff I can still appreciate the Pyra for what it is.I've learned more about computers just following the Pyra because every step of the making is openly discussed and it has made me want to learn more. The Pyra I feel like is very functional to military members for its durability,portability,freedom,and how many options it offers. Not to mention you can fix it yourself if you know what your doing. Maby some people of this website may think the Pyra is only for a certain group of people and that newbs like myself should stick with Android or windows products. But I disagree and I know ED will still gladly take my money when I order LOL. Thanks for your advice though.

I've just done a search for game streaming from windows to linux, and it looks like your options are SteamOS streaming (and moonlight if you had a nvidia GPU). I don't know what the licensing on Nvidia's SteamOS stuff and if there's any option of digging this streaming bit out of it and applying it to your favourite linuxes, and how portable it would be come to that.

Also, streaming might be a no go to begin with, because I don't know if it's possible to boot Home Windows without a keyboard and mouse, and carrying around a PC stick, USB keyboard and mouse, Pyra and probably some kind of battery to get this whole thing to run for any time is likely to be impractical.

But if all you really care about are some older games that have had their engines reverse engineered, then a Pyra alone should do you proud.

I've just done a search for game streaming from windows to linux, and it looks like your options are SteamOS streaming (and moonlight if you had a nvidia GPU). I don't know what the licensing on Nvidia's SteamOS stuff and if there's any option of digging this streaming bit out of it and applying it to your favourite linuxes, and how portable it would be come to that.

Also, streaming might be a no go to begin with, because I don't know if it's possible to boot Home Windows without a keyboard and mouse, and carrying around a PC stick, USB keyboard and mouse, Pyra and probably some kind of battery to get this whole thing to run for any time is likely to be impractical.

But if all you really care about are some older games that have had their engines reverse engineered, then a Pyra alone should do you proud.
Cool ,that's a solid answer. Thank you my question is answered. Now for a new million dollar question, when will the Pyra be delivered to my barracks?! Lol just joking i'll keep waiting as long as it takes.

The Pyra I feel like is very functional to military members for its durability,portability,freedom,and how many options it offers.
I think the portability will be particularly valuable. I have a good feeling about durability, but time will tell, and I can always fix it myself. There is also a lit to learn that may be useful to you in your career if you dig in deeper. Do you plan on getting a 4G unit, and if so do you mind sharing what country you call home?

@Truthwarrior, I say the chances are fairly good, it's a game from 2002
When it was released is absolutely irrelevant if we're talking about a different engine that was created from scratch and is still being actively developed. OpenMW does not only targets to recreate an old engine, it makes use of several newer GPU features and it actually wants to be used for new standalone games at some point. The first question should be whether it can be made to run with OpenGL ES2 with a reasonable amount of time and effort, in contrast to those other games it seems to require at least OpenGL 2.0, which is a show stopper for using glshim to do a quick port.

@Letalis Sonus - I guess I thought it was the real Morrowind engine just open sourced. However my confidence is in that Ptitseb already claimed to have a port on the Pandora, but too slow to be playable.

When it was released is absolutely irrelevant if we're talking about a different engine that was created from scratch and is still being actively developed. OpenMW does not only targets to recreate an old engine, it makes use of several newer GPU features and it actually wants to be used for new standalone games at some point. The first question should be whether it can be made to run with OpenGL ES2 with a reasonable amount of time and effort, in contrast to those other games it seems to require at least OpenGL 2.0, which is a show stopper for using glshim to do a quick port.
I already ported OpenMW with gl4es and it works. FWIW, I think the non-official Android port of OpenWM is also using gl4es.

Back