Puzzle Ideas Please!

Quiest

I like turtles!
I`m want to start working on a new game next week, and all of you can help again!

I got the idea while remembering that old Myst-style game "Safe Cracker":

You are a thief and you walk around a house full of safes.
To open a safe you need to complete a puzzle, like Sudoku, Picross, etc.
Every safe has another puzzle.
When you have cracked a safe, you get money and different items like for example a special pen to open the Sudoku safe or a key card to deactivate a laser barrier to advance further into the house, and a special key.

After opening all normal safes, you get access to the "Mastersafe" by using all the special keys. The Mastersafe featues all puzzles in the game.
Your goal will be to crack that.

There will be secret passages opened by doing certain stuff in the house like pushing a book or something, allowing acces to extra safes to get more money.
There will be a highscore list that records your time and you final money after cracking the Mastersafe.

Now, I just need some more puzle ideas I can make for the safes.
I could think of these for now:

Sudoku
Picross
Tile Match
Simon
Sliding Puzzle
Mastermind
Polarium
Sokoban
Lights Out (like FlipOver for the gp32)
Minesweeper
Some sort of Labyrinth games

Please post any ideas for puzzles here (it would be also great if you have an example game or a link or a picture of that puzzle).

I could also need some help on graphics, since I`m a really bad sprite artist.

Anyone who is interested in helping, feel free to contact me!

Thanks!

Not sure what it's called but you have to slide sections around a board to assemble a picture or order numbers. it's usually on a 4x4 grid with one section missing allowing you to slide the pieces. You could have it that theres a time limit or an alarm goes off or a trap is triggered?

Hmm.. It reminds me the retro games; 'the 7th guest' and 'castle/island of doctor brain'

I believe you can make some remake or adjusted puzzle from them...include some nicely maden chess puzzle and crossword.

:) I really look forward to your work, too

@mittens: Oh yes, that`s a good idea, I still have the 7th Guest and the 11th Hour around somewhere! If nly I could find that safecracker game again, it had some nice puzzles :(

@WarmFluffy: I already have Sliding Game in my list :D
I don`t make any time limit, cause the time you need to complete the game will be entered in a highscore list, so the longer you need for a puzzle, the worse will be your place on the list.

@mongo: Hmm something like this would be cool... maybe I`ll use that to open a passage - you get some mirrors from different safes and have to place them to open a door or something.

I remember another puzzler, it was pretty kewl and will suit your combination idea very well.....

You have a series of numbers, and they are mixed up. You have to order them 1 to 9 using the buttons that flip over sets of 4. It's difficult to explain, so I have written a demo in VB:

Puzzle.zip

Here's a screenshot:
Demo.gif

By clicking the MIX button the program will randomly press the buttons mixing up the puzzle. Initially it is set to only perform one move, so only one button will be pressed. To make the puzzle harder, change number in the moves box, the higher the number, the more moves the computer performes and therefore, the harder it will be for you to unscramble it. Please note this isn't a finished puzzle or anything, it's just a basic demo to convey the idea :).

Hope that was of help!

hi!

there's a cool java game for mobile phones called super yum yum. and as far as I can tell it's original. only link I can give is here: http://www.airplayuk.com/games/superyumyum/

basically you are a chameleon and eat coloured fruit which turn you into another colour, you must eat all the two tone fruit in the room to exit. very cool - check it out

Yeah, I just want logic puzzle, not that arcade puzzle type like puzzle bubble or that chamelion game or Tetris, just logic puzzles.

That chamelion game would not fit into that.

@Wormfluffy: Thats a great puzzle idea! I will definatly use it! Thanks!

Wow didnt know there were picross fans in the world apart from me, I started making a game called picross panic but stopped development as I didnt have enough puzzles.

Anyone want to contribute email or pm me, check out what I did so far here,
http://www.vgreality.com/alphaex/ - Just goto games then click picross panic, feedback on how to improve the game would be great.

Anyway Quiest how about something with a coloums/tetris style as in falling tiles but they have numbers and you have to connect them to a block that has a total number, the numbers connected to that must add up to the total to clear those tiles?

A game like that could combine fast paced action ala tetris with not so basic logic.

Had another one, how about having a sort of circuit diagram, and you have to complete the circuit to open the lock. You need to place links in the circuit without causing a short..... Two tracks have to be connected, 'plus' and 'minus' to make the circuit work.....

Alpha eX posted on Dec 20 2005 at 07:29 PM said:
Wow didnt know there were picross fans in the world apart from me, I started making a game called picross panic but stopped development as I didnt have enough puzzles.

Anyone want to contribute email or pm me, check out what I did so far here,
http://www.vgreality.com/alphaex/ - Just goto games then click picross panic, feedback on how to improve the game would be great.

Anyway Quiest how about something with a coloums/tetris style as in falling tiles but they have numbers and you have to connect them to a block that has a total number, the numbers connected to that must add up to the total to clear those tiles?

A game like that could combine fast paced action ala tetris with not so basic logic.

I don`t want fast paced action, thats what the minigame project is (hopefully) good for :) I want relaxing logic puzzles, you have to THINK to complete the game, no hectic arcade puzzle games like Tetris or Colums or anything else that moves without you doing something to it, please :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back