Put The Gp2X Back On The Front Page

christo930

It seems to me that the Dingoo should be kicked off the front page and not the gp2x! The website is supposed to be for gamepark systems, so why does the gp2x have to take a back seat to the Dingoo?

Hm, which site do you mean? I can neither find a site with a gp2x nor with a dingoo on the frontpage. :unsure:

ern.... but the pandora isn't either.......we all know that the gp2x is dead. it might have some minimal activity (0x10⁻⁹⁹) still, but putting it in the front page isn't changing anything.

@ziz: i think he means from the top of the sub forums list

laharl said:
ern.... but the pandora isn't either.......we all know that the gp2x is dead.
Oh, it isn't. I had the same assumption, so I made a poll in this board and the German openhandheld board. In the English poll, the GP2X has double as much votes as the WIZ. :p In the German board (with much more activity in the poll), the GP2X has more users then the Caanoo. I think it is often because many people wait for their pandoras. Why buying a Caanoo, if I own a GP2X now and a Pandora in a few months?

it might have some minimal activity (0x10⁻⁹⁹) still, but putting it in the front page isn't changing anything.
But this is an openhandheld board, isn't it? So the GP2X should be on the page as long as people use it. Yesterday I met a person I never saw before and he knows about the GP2X. Afterward we played SNES and N64 on his XBOX. ^^

So the GP2X is still in mind and used.
@ziz: i think he means from the top of the sub forums list
Would you give me a link or a screenshot? On all pages I find are still a gp2x and a dingoo section. Or did I overlook a discussion about a new front page design?

greetings, Ziz

Last edited by a moderator:
There are still people out there discovering the GP2X for the first time. Me, for instance. Sure, I'm just a nobody, but there must be some others out there like me. I found it by accident while browsing eBay one day, did a little research and bought one. Bingo. Just about any device you can think of will still have someone out there using it. For example, I use a Psion Series 5 semi-seriously, and I didn't use one of those until last year... :)

Ziz said:
Hm, which site do you mean? I can neither find a site with a gp2x nor with a dingoo on the frontpage. :unsure:

Does this forum appear on more than 1 website? I am talking about www.gp32x.de which has caanoo, wiz, pandora and dingo a320 forums on the front page.

same here, caanoo wiz pandora and just then, GP2X

@ziz didn't know the gp2x had that much activity in other forums, i have the rss feed for the gp2x forum and as per my feed reader it has an average of 3 new topics per month in all its subforums together in the last 3 months.

month / new topics
oldest entry i have isfrom november 5
november / ~13
dicember / 17
january / 12
februery / 5
march / 4
april / 2
march / 3 (counting Just Got A Gp2X - Game Files Won't Run posted yesterday)

christo930 said:
Ziz said:
Does this forum appear on more than 1 website? I am talking about www.gp32x.de which has caanoo, wiz, pandora and dingo a320 forums on the front page.
Ah, now I got it. Hm, I know there are still (new) GP2X users, but with 3 new topics a month it could be really better to keep the GP2X Section striked off on the main page, because you still have the gp2x-forum-link on the left side.

@laharl: There isn't more activity. It just seems to be, that there are more active users. Most of then just use the gp2x and don't write something new in the Forum. As I said before: The gp2x is old and now it just works. :)

Well, from a new user's perspective: one problem that I suspect many have had is the old chestnut of outdated links. Look at the GP2X article on Wikipedia, for example: the link to "GP2X Software Archive" goes to archive.gp2x.de -- which is about the Pandora, and nothing else. Not even a one-liner along the lines of "If you're looking for stuff on the GP2X, try gp32x.de" or something. The same goes for a lot (maybe most) of the software links in the actual gp2x wiki -- they go to gp2x.de, not OHH, so are now broken and useless. (That's why I asked on another thread here whether there was a way of automatically substituting OHH file links for gp2x.de ones in the gp2x wiki. Nobody answered, so I guess not.)

Now, you might say that the type of person who buys a GP2X (and a second-hand one at that) rather than a Nintendo is probably going to be the sort of person who can do some searching and fiddling about, and find the resources that do exist... but even if it's not a fatal problem, it is still a problem. I could actually see the GP2X becoming a rather popular niche retro thing in the same way that old digital cameras are (I collect those) thanks to being so easy to run -- once a device gets old enough that finding a good Li-ion battery is a pain, the ability to take AA cells is actually a plus overall.

I'm not going pie-in-the-sky and suggesting that a little care and attention on these things would suddenly make the GP2X rival the SNES in popularity; of course not. But in some ways it's actually the best GP-type console for newcomers: much cheaper than a Pandora, more games and emulators in the OHH archive than any of the other models, takes AA batteries as well as SD cards, is easy to find on eBay in good condition and is about the easiest console in existence to program for, at least very simply in something like SdlBasic. I wrote a review of the GP2X for a website a while back, and even the gamers had never heard of it. But even now, in 2011, they mostly loved the idea.

[offtopic]
oh, the internets......
don't you feel like you are in the 90's when you go to a page that is plain simple, no ads, no java, no flash, and click a link and it says 404? i feel so windows 95 xD
[/offtopic]

yeah, i also love my gp2x, even when i regret not having brought a psp (because of the building quality), i also brought it because i could program for it, and as i was learning C++, so 2 in 1.
a pity it uses 2 AA cells, it would have been WAYYYY better, even with the extra 50g, if it used 3, as it would have lasted about 6 hours, without having to mod anything.

Hm, I know the archive problem. It's nerving. So, if you are on a wiki-site you like and you found the working link, just edit it. :)

Hm, I know the archive problem. It's nerving. So, if you are on a wiki-site you like and you found the working link, just edit it. :)

Ziz said:

Sure: I've done that for Wikipedia now, as well as removing the dead link to the old Korean site. I'll do the same sort of thing in the GP2X wiki as well when I come across a link like that, but there are a lot of them! OHH is rough around the edges in terms of presentation, but as a place simply to download stuff it's easy and fast. I've told friends to have a look at it when they ask about my GP2X, and they're usually quite impressed. :)

Edit: That said, the biggest problem is the broken link to the archive on the front page of the the GP2X wiki. I do have an account there, but don't have the permissions to edit the front page, so I can't change that one. Very frustrating!

The front page is locked to stop people hijacking the very first thing you see. I've fixed the links on it.

laharl said:
[offtopic]
oh, the internets......
don't you feel like you are in the 90's when you go to a page that is plain simple, no ads, no java, no flash, and click a link and it says 404? i feel so windows 95 xD
[/offtopic]

yeah, i also love my gp2x, even when i regret not having brought a psp (because of the building quality), i also brought it because i could program for it, and as i was learning C++, so 2 in 1.
a pity it uses 2 AA cells, it would have been WAYYYY better, even with the extra 50g, if it used 3, as it would have lasted about 6 hours, without having to mod anything.

According to WIKI, The AA battery size was standardized by ANSI in 1947, but was actually used even before then. So, the AA battery has been around 63 years and is very likely to be around for another 50 years. Rechargeable AA batteries are better and better and they even now have AA rechargeable batteries that hold their charge for many months, sometimes years without going dead, while holding upwards of 3 watt hours (1.2x2500/1000) and there is good possibility that that newer designs and internal chemistry will make them even more powerful. While I agree that adding a 3rd cell to the gp2x would have given it longer play time, I applaud their design of using standard batteries. I still use my gp32 from time to time, especially when I am using it in good lighting. I would imagine that if GamePark would have used a built in rechargeable battery, that by now, there would be no batteries available and we would have to figure out ways of modding the thing to get around that.

I think the internal rechargeable battery packs currently being used should be standardized and easily available.

Chris

Back