Push 'n Create!

HackModford

I love the GP2X :D It's so awesome, what with it being open source and all. I wish I could make games for it... One problem... No computer :(

Here's my idea. How about a game maker that will make games ON THE GP2X? I mean you actually make games on your GP2X. Now I don't mean writing computer Code with a Virtual keyboard, no, that would take forever. When I used to have a computer I had an awesome program called.... I don't remember now... But here's there website www.clickteam.com Anyways you would just click the code you wanted. I think another program that is kinda like that idea is called Game Creator.

What do you guys think of that?

would it be mean if i provided links to arm assembly docs and gcc compiled to run on gp2x? how bout if i linked in sterm to sweeten the deal?

but seroiusly i'll add fenix to the list, it's pretty straightforward. not the way klik & play was but...for anything beyondCODE
put bear trap graphic on square 23,45
if player steps on bear trap
pop up message saying "oh noez!!!111"
it gets pretty crazy trying to use those things instead of a more powerful language. at least, in my opinion. but keep in mind, i liked qbasic :ph34r:. on that note:

glbasic: http://www.glbasic.com/main.php?lang=en

also

fenix (don't be shy, it rules): http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showforum=37

Last edited by a moderator:
Yah, but can you actually use those programs on the GP2X or do you need a computer?

I'm pretty sure you can do Cack games on the GP2X itself :)

fenix you need to do on pc. not only because you need to type in the code, but because the programs are basically compiled into bytecode (i think? at the very least, the sound & gfx resources are arranged into a certain file format) and you don't want to do that on a processor this small.

cack i thought was driven by xml files that you edit. but even if, in clik-n-play style, you didn't have to crate graphics, nor do any advanced scripting, you'd still need to type in dialogue! unless it was a charlie chaplin adventure game...

if you are at all serious (by which i mean willing to spend a couple of days learning) about making games for gp2x, i can't say enough good things about fenix. obviously you can do amazing things with sdl, but that will take some more time to learn since it requires that you get proficient at C as well. fenix code feels more like basic code. and again, if you really want to do basic, there's options there.

there might be a couple of gp2x games with built-in level editors, though i can't think of any right now. you can search the file archive for "editor" or something. also if you consider games that run on emulators, you get a few more on that list.

but a full on wysiwyg game creator for gp2x...nope, sorry.

Back