Release PSX files

gastrictitan

Still Fresh
Ok, so I don't know if I'm allowed to post this, so apologies if it's forbidden. But I've got my hands on some psx backups, (yes I own the games) now all the files are broken down into smaller files, like 5 or 6 per disk. DO we have any idea how zodttd will need files organising/compressing etc. I'm kinda new to psx 'roms' and would like to know where to start, apologies if this has been covered before. I just want to know how I need to start ripping cd's in preperation for the Pandora.

My advice...

Hm, well first off, call them ISO's, since they're disc images, rather than call them ROM's. :)
Secondly, my advice is to rip the discs, each into their own individual ISO; each will be around 700MB.
If you want, you can use certain ripping tools found around the net to rip unneeded data; the PSX used WAV files for music, which was pretty big; SOTN can get down to under a 100MB without the music.

Ripped or not, having all your games as ISO's is the best preparation you can do. Since this is the most common PSX format, for whatever file types the Pandora will then support, there will likely be converters, or most likely, just 7z compression. :)

Hope this helps.

I'm going to assume that it will be like PS1 emulators for the PC, where you will need to make a disk image (.iso, bin/cue, etc.) of the original and put it in the same directory as the emulator.

sortableturnip said:
I'm going to assume that it will be like PS1 emulators for the PC, where you will need to make a disk image (.iso, bin/cue, etc.) of the original and put it in the same directory as the emulator.
Yup, most likely; Thanks for mentioning BIN/CUE's, I forgot about them.
They're other formats for PSX games, alongside ISO's.

i very much hope that psx4all for pandora will support all common rom image formats, including bin/cue, mdf/mds, and img.

in anticipation of psx4all i installed the popular win-based psx emulator epsxe: it worked fine with bin/cue and mdf/mds images. but when i tried to convert those images to iso with izarc, those isos wouldn't work with epsxe.

bartleby said:
i very much hope that psx4all for pandora will support all common rom image formats, including bin/cue, mdf/mds, and img.

in anticipation of psx4all i installed the popular win-based psx emulator epsxe: it worked fine with bin/cue and mdf/mds images. but when i tried to convert those images to iso with izarc, those isos wouldn't work with epsxe.

Probably something to do with the conversions, epsxe is meant to support ISO...I love epsxe, such a neat emu.

MartinStatic said:
Probably something to do with the conversions
apparently, yes. do you have any hints how to do it properly? any conversion tools known to work better for this sort of job?

MartinStatic said:
I love epsxe, such a neat emu.
yes, it's really cool. i never used it before, but when i saw zod's videos of his psx emu for pandora, i just couldn't wait for my pandora to arrive to play some of those psx games again. so i downloaded epsxe - and i'm really impressed: it's working just great with my all time faves, wipeout 2097 and wipeout 3.

it doesn't seem work so well some other games from the psx faves thread, though. magic carpet has some severe sound problems, and ghost in a shell is unplayable. apparently some games work better with emus than others...

bartleby said:
yes, it's really cool. i never used it before, but when i saw zod's videos of his psx emu for pandora, i just couldn't wait for my pandora to arrive to play some of those psx games again. so i downloaded epsxe - and i'm really impressed: it's working just great with my all time faves, wipeout 2097 and wipeout 3.

it doesn't seem work so well some other games from the psx faves thread, though. magic carpet has some severe sound problems, and ghost in a shell is unplayable. apparently some games work better with emus than others...

Yeah Ive noticed that with a few emu's, game compatibility can be all over the place...as for the conversions, I really don't know...does Nero or Alchohol120% convert images?

MartinStatic said:
does Nero or Alchohol120% convert images?
i think my version of nero converts images to nrg files only (using the image writer). do emus work with nrg images?

alcohol: no idea.

oh well, guess i'ss just hope that psx4all will work with the files i have, so i won't need to convert anything.

I use nrg2iso on *nix to convert nrg files to the correct, iso format. I absolutely hate software that only writes its own proprietary format. (That means a very big f*ck you to the makers of Nero and MagicISO for all those times I've spent googling for a solution to avoid their worthless formats.) Luckily, there does exist free (as in freedom) software for Windows that handles disc backup and burning. I can't think of the exact name but I've used it to make a backup iso of a CD at work once.

the_darkside_986 said:
I absolutely hate software that only writes its own proprietary format.
agreed. it's funny though: nero *does* write iso - but only when converting actual cds. it just won't convert other image formats into iso.

the_darkside_986 said:
Luckily, there does exist free (as in freedom) software for Windows that handles disc backup and burning. I can't think of the exact name but I've used it to make a backup iso of a CD at work once.

I use Deep Burner. It's free and it's a portable app.

right, without going into boring detail, I've managed to get a few psx iso's (yes I own all the originals) but they are all in 50mb sections (approx 5-6 per disk) when the pandora is released, would these just go into the same destination folder, or would I need to do something different? I'm not really up to scratch with all this open source stuff, and this is my first time using psx iso's. Thanks

gastrictitan said:
right, without going into boring detail, I've managed to get a few psx iso's (yes I own all the originals) but they are all in 50mb sections (approx 5-6 per disk) when the pandora is released, would these just go into the same destination folder, or would I need to do something different? I'm not really up to scratch with all this open source stuff, and this is my first time using psx iso's. Thanks
That won't work. The emulator only reads whole files, ISO, BIN/CUE or IMG. It won't read NGR and I'm pretty sure won't be reading MDF anytime soon...

Anyway, it seems like you have the image compressed in a split-file format like .rar, .r01, .r02 or the equivalent for ZIP, ACE or 7-zip. I recommend you research on those programs to try and extract the file from there.

hmm ok, thanks for your help. Although I'm still clueless as to compiling all these sections into 'one', can't seem to find anywhere on the net that says anything about making these files into one.

What extension are the pieces of the file? If it were rar you would just extract the first one and the rest would automatically be extracted (with the correct software, of course).

If you own the original games you should just use free software to re-rip them into sane formats such as iso. I can understand the need for compression but I have no idea why someone would want to rip their own games into multiple scattered pieces.

gastrictitan said:
right, without going into boring detail, I've managed to get a few psx iso's (yes I own all the originals) but they are all in 50mb sections (approx 5-6 per disk)
what you do is put all the parts that make up a rom image into one folder and open the first part with a program like 7zip. then you can save the entire rom image in one file.

the_darkside_986 said:
What extension are the pieces of the file? If it were rar you would just extract the first one and the rest would automatically be extracted (with the correct software, of course).

If you own the original games you should just use free software to re-rip them into sane formats such as iso. I can understand the need for compression but I have no idea why someone would want to rip their own games into multiple scattered pieces.

a friend of mine ripped them and sent them via msn to save bandwith

right, i've managed to get a 700mb bin and cue file and just testing it in epsxe, but I keep getting a not responding error, any thoughts? Sorry if this is totally off topic or against forum rules

Back