Ps2 Won't Connect

finty

what is this
Website
Visit site
My PS2 won't connect to the internet, it gets past connection and then I get an error at DNAS, saying something like "Network connection failure." I am using a rented original, I have a magic 3.1, but disable it.

I used to be able to play online, but since I got my router I havent been able to pass DNAS, I can browse the net though. Can anyone tell me what the problem is?

....hmm wish I knew for sure I'm just using a hub not a router. what are your settings? are you using automatic settings or do you have specific settings and what game are you playing?

I'm using BTBroadband settings, so they are automatic. I am trying to play Socom II.

EDIT:

Getting this now:

Socom II said:
Network Error (-612)
There was no response from the DNS server. Please check your network configuration.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm using a router with auto blueyonder settings and it all works fine. I thought that a DNS error was to do with your ps2 being unverified or whatever. Maybe try changing your ps2 ID with that new tool and see if it makes any difference.

if your router has a NAT filter it could be that, you may have to set up port forwarding, the instruction manual for the game will usually tell you what ports are required

De-Militarised Zone.

If you have access to your router, and you're using Router -> PS2, then try and find out your PS2's IP address, or use your Central Station disc to set it to use a static IP as opposed to using DHCP.

Now somewhere within your router configuration should be a place where you can configure a DMZ, simply set it up to use your PS2's IP address and you shouldn't have any problems...

Edit: If you get a list of networked IPs but can't find out what one your PS2 is, look for the one with the Physical address, or MAC address, beginning with 00-04, I believe.

How do I determine my Netmask and gateway?

I can't find any other IP than mine and my sisters in my router configuration.

im not sure if this will be any help to you, but here is how i connected my ps2 to the internet:

PS2 --> Wireless Ethernet Bridge --> Wireless router --> PC --> Cable Modem

I hope that helped (althogh i doubt it did)

finty101 posted on Sep 15 2004 at 11:24 PM said:
Ok, got the I.P (81.152.50.61), but it isn't inside the valid range. What am I supposed to do?
Seems to be your actual connection IP. If your PS2 is connected to your router, it should have a network IP, beginning with 192.168

Edit: One thing I forget to mention, is that the network adapter doesn't actually initialise until you're actually connecting to an online game or service. Fire up your Central Station CD and go online with that, THEN check your network IP list for your PS2. Sorry about that, I should've mentioned that earlier.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Internet and your Router work the same way. Your router creates a LAN (Local-Access Network), while the Internet is a WAN (Wide-Access Network). But basically, they are the same. Both are just a network of computers talking to each other through an intermediary. For your own home network, you usually have one intermediary - your router. That router will assign you a "private IP address", or one that shouldn't exist on the internet, through DHCP. For most routers, this is 192.168.1.x, where x is a number from 0 to 255, usually starting at 2. Your router has an IP address in this network too, usually 192.168.1.1. These private IP addresses are NOT unique, as most routers use them.

Usually the reason that the Internet can't contact a computer is because the router doesn't know where to send the packet. Say you have two computers connected to the internet (hardware routers usually aren't smart enough to notice if you only have one computer connected anyway), and another computer on the Internet wants to access port 6969 on your computer. All this computer has is the IP address assigned by your ISP, since your computer's private IP address does it no good. So the computer contacts the router (since that's the device physically connected to the Internet), giving it a packet of data that says "this goes to port 6969". Well the router isn't a computer (or if it is, you closed off all ports like you're suppose to), so it needs to send this packet of data somewhere else. If you don't tell the router where the packet should go, the packet will just sit in the router's queue until it's deleted. Telling the router where a packet of data going to a port should go is called "forwarding".

Now a little more information. Routers modify packets (which are actually larger data split up and wrapped in routing information) enough so that when they return, the router knows where they should go. This is part of "Network Address Translation", or NAT. Then there's also the subnet mask, which tells the router how many parts of an IP address to consider "local". If your subnet mask is 255.255.255.0, then that means, if first three parts of your IP address match the sender's IP address (like 18.2.4.10 and 18.2.4.87), the router will consider both computers on the same local network and route accordingly.

Now why am I telling you all this? I don't know, I'm just bored.

But I can't connect with the network access disc. If I browse the net with the PS2 will the PS2's I.P come up or brookfresh's?

EDIT: It came up, in the DMZ. Trying to connect to Socom now. I think the main problem is that I gave my router the same name as my computer, which confused me.

Aslong as your PS2 is in the DMZ, it's in a 'Catch-all'... You shouldn't need to forward ANY ports.

Silly, silly question... You DO have your internet connection set to share, yes? Obviously you do if you're just running from a router, but i'm looking on the NTSC-Uk forums and someone's having DNS problems with Xbox like you're having with PS2...

It's alright its done.

The most stupidest thing ever, had to share a "dial up connection" to users on a network, instead of the usual sharing internet access with network

Soon as did that, the fucker worked

GURR!!

I have no idea whether that's of any relevance.

It is actually DNAS that won't pass, not DNS, But it isn't just rented games, it is on my network disc too.

It might be something to do with my chip, when I get HDLoader I'll disconnect it and try.

Could someone please give me guide for idiots to make the PS2's IP static? It is Dynamic at the minute.

Back