Prototype P(h)riday

el_pango

I had an interesting idea for an action RPG last night and hurriedly bashed out the following prototype (see attachment).

The way I envision it, the exploration will be room-based, like La Mulana or Maze Of Galious, but instead of ladders, we'll have directional gravity instead. What do you all think?

I should mention: this is speed-coded, and as such, may contain bugs that could adversely affect your dog, your sanity, etc., and yes, I know that the jumping isn't tuned quite right and that the logic to decide how and when to flip/somersault the girl is dumber than a sack of hammers. I did test it on my Pandora, and it works for me, though (famous last words).

Controls:

• Directional Pad: run, tweak jump
  • (X): Jump
  • [ESC]: quit to OS

grav.pnd

Attachments

• grav.pnd
    1.3 MB · Views: 150
Last edited by a moderator:
music is great, but it's a hard game, i'm having trouble to move around, actually i don't know what to do, lots of arrows, it's a little bit confusing, but anyway, keep it going

I should have mentioned that the arrows indicate which way the gravity attracts the heroine when she's in that particular section of the map; it's stolen from/inspired by the capsule-shaped worlds in Super Mario Galaxy.

There isn't any gameplay or objective yet, it was mostly an experiment to see if jumping from weird angles and using gravity to slingshot oneself across the level would be interesting or fun.

Neat concept. Got stuck in one corner. This could be a great random maze game, if you can come up with an algorithm that deals with that, of course.

Was at an arcade in Seattle a few weeks back and came up with an idea by combining two of the newer games they had on the Pandora. A tank game where you hunt dinosaurs.

Left Nub: Tank Driver

Right nub: L/R Traverse side to side Up= Main Gun Down= Machine Gun

Was at an arcade in Seattle a few weeks back and came up with an idea by combining two of the newer games they had on the Pandora. A tank game where you hunt dinosaurs.

Left Nub: Tank Driver

Right nub: L/R Traverse side to side Up= Main Gun Down= Machine Gun

Tankrok: Dinosaur Hunter!

No worries, I know how that can be. Just interested to see what everyone else is in on, and this sounds fun. ;) (it sucks not having a Pandora here yet!!!)

Sorry for being late with this.

Anyway, the response from everyone I show this to is positive so far, so I'm moving forward with making an actual game out of it. If the moderators don't object, I'd like to use this thread as kind of a dev blog, and I'll post demos to it occasionally if I implement a major feature or something.

grav-win32.zip

Attachments

• grav-win32.zip
    1,015.2 KB · Views: 125
I'm using OS X ATM, will pop it in my Dropbox and test it on my Windows PC later today, thanks!

I tested it on the pandora and it works great. I didn't see in bugs or glitches yet. It was fun messing around with it. A idea you might want to do is have the levels as text files (maybe not the official levels) in some folder so people can add and make new maps for it. Also I could not find the exit :D

Thanks for uploading the Win version, much appreciated!

I just gave it a try, and I think it's a fun concept. Kinda reminds me of some older games that hide the gravity data but way less annoying lol.

I say run with it, I'd certainly play it. :) If you can come up with some creative way to hide the arrows but still make it very apparent which way gravity is flowing I think I might like that better (but that's just me).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back