Project Gotham Racing... Multi Core Arm By Q4 Etc...

cb88

The mighty inverse laplacinator
Website
gcadvsg.rr.nu
recent post on engadget

(http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/23/new-high-end-arm-processors-could-be-powering-cellphones-by-year/)

does this have anything to do with TheGoodDoctor's porting efforts since Project gotham racing is owned by bizarre creations as far as i can tell... and could it be released for the Pandora?

I thought about the same thing, but why would he tell us he's porting a DC game when it's PGR?

Just to remind anyone not familiar with the series: Project Gotham Racing (XBOX) and its sequels (I think they're up to 4 now, not sure when they made the switch to the Xbox360) are actually *all* sequels of the Dreamcast title Metropolis Street Racer.

So either there's an error somewhere in the reporting - i.e. Engadget or Yahoo! News - or it's an unrelated project.
Honestly, seeing as the Yahoo! article refers to it as "Project Gotham Racer, the former can't entirely be ruled out... although the sentence QUOTE
Performance-wise, it runs like the original Xbox, but feature-wise it looks like an Xbox 360 title
does come from an ARM engineer...
mysterious

PS: hope the forum bugs don't mess up my BBScript too much :-S

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget that Sega owns the "MSR" name and brand, but Bizarre own the codebase (and the "Project Gotham" name)

So it's entirely possible that it'll be a port of MSR, but renamed PGR
(That's all the first Xbox PGR was, anyway!)

That *could* be the case, but sounds incredibly confusing for everyone involved imho... besides, are you sure Sega still owns that name today? I'm pretty sure I remember someone (either DaveC or craigix) talking about how those kinds of licenses were actually pretty short-lived... in TheGoodDoctor's thread, I think

'Nilsiboy' said:
Performance-wise, it runs like the original Xbox, but feature-wise it looks like an Xbox 360 title
does[/] come from an ARM engineer...
mysterious
He's not an engineer but a product manager, that's very different.

True, my bad... that actually makes it seem a lot more possible it *is* MSR... Though I certainly wouldn't complain about XBOX ports ;)
However, it's still ARM's next-gen hardware, i.e. *not* the stuff used in the Pandora, guess we should keep that in mind...

also the SGX seems MORE powerful that this mali chip ..... after having looked at it unless they are coming out with a heavily upgraded version

This hasn't got anything to do with us. Microsoft owns PGR.
The article seems to imply that they've somehow got the PGR code and converted it to OpenGL ES from the original Direct X.
The most likely explanation is that someone has done a graphics demo and someone has said 'wow, that looks like PGR' and they've been misquoted.
Either that or something interesting is coming along and someone has let this slip.

'TheGoodDoktor' said:
This hasn't got anything to do with us. Microsoft owns PGR.
The article seems to imply that they've somehow got the PGR code and converted it to OpenGL ES from the original Direct X.
The most likely explanation is that someone has done a graphics demo and someone has said 'wow, that looks like PGR' and they've been misquoted.
Either that or something interesting is coming along and someone has let this slip.
Doktor - Did you ever own up to which game you were working on for Pandora? - In the other thread was there not rumours that you were going to port MSR to Pandora? B)

Personally any of the puzzlers from the Dreamcast era would do fine

'cb88' said:
also the SGX seems MORE powerful that this mali chip ..... after having looked at it unless they are coming out with a heavily upgraded version

On what data do you base this claim?

heh... I must have read some thing wrong XD sorry

is there any reason the mali wasn't used in the pandora other than thats just the way the omap 3530 is made?

and yes there appears to be heavily upgraded versions coming (http://www.engadget.com/tag/mali-400/)

so the mali is roughly equivalent to the SGX? and the mali 400 can be quad core

or am i just confused and the mali is just another name for the SGX?

'cb88' said:
heh... I must have read some thing wrong XD sorry

is there any reason the mali wasn''t used in the pandora other than thats just the way the omap 3530 is made?

and yes there appears to be heavily upgraded versions coming (http://www.engadget.com/tag/mali-400/)

so the mali is roughly equivalent to the SGX? and the mali 400 can be quad core

or am i just confused and the mali is just another name for the SGX?
Heh no problem :)
Mali is ARM 3d chip it has nothing to do with Imgtec SGX.
The choice of SGX for OMAP3 was done by TI, and anyway no Mali chip was available when OMAP3 was designed.
As far as performance goes, I'm not allowed to say :p

Back