Programming With The Pandora

Squidge said:
Etinin said:
Real men use Emacs.
Real men use binary :)
Other people use Vi.
Real men use the butterfly mode in Emacs.

Women don't waste time and edit files productively with vi.

Last edited by a moderator:
DroneB Dev said:
The Fun on Notepad ++ is that the code higligting works on a Plugin Basis, and right now it seems that theres a bunch of plugins for all the major Programming languages.

Kate does work, but it didnt went very well when i was dealing with PHP

For what's it's worth, code highlighting in kate works on a plugin basis, too. You download (or create/edit) xml files that describe the highlighting. Heck, version 2.5 allowed you to download new highlighting schemas from their Settings dialog. I don't know why, but they seem to have scrapped that part of the functionality. :/ But anyway, point is that you can define how you want code highlighting for any file type to behave, and you can do it at a very low level.

Hmm, just checked. It has highlighting for 156 file types, 73 of them being scripts or source code. That can't be *that* much less than what notepad++ provides, but I think I'm interested enough to check this program out. :D

Edit: Aha! "Settings -> Configure Kate -> Editor Component -> Open/Save -> Modes Filetypes" is where you download new highlighting schemas in the current version. I did not know this. (of course, their server seems to be down now, so foo on that)

chole said:
DroneB Dev said:
The Fun on Notepad ++ is that the code higligting works on a Plugin Basis, and right now it seems that theres a bunch of plugins for all the major Programming languages.

Kate does work, but it didnt went very well when i was dealing with PHP

For what's it's worth, code highlighting in kate works on a plugin basis, too. You download (or create/edit) xml files that describe the highlighting. Heck, version 2.5 allowed you to download new highlighting schemas from their Settings dialog. I don't know why, but they seem to have scrapped that part of the functionality. :/ But anyway, point is that you can define how you want code highlighting for any file type to behave, and you can do it at a very low level.

Hmm, just checked. It has highlighting for 156 file types, 73 of them being scripts or source code. That can't be *that* much less than what notepad++ provides, but I think I'm interested enough to check this program out. :D

Edit: Aha! "Settings -> Configure Kate -> Editor Component -> Open/Save -> Modes Filetypes" is where you download new highlighting schemas in the current version. I did not know this. (of course, their server seems to be down now, so foo on that)

Nice, i really didnt know that, at least for the last time i used kate (5 years ago?)

well, thaat might solve the code highlighting now for the Compilation, im more insterested into getting a J2SE /J2ME Project Compiler.

its been long since the last time i used C so its gotta be nuts for me to compile multi file projects.

(now that i remember is there a implementation of JAVAC for ARM!?!?)

Squidge said:
Etinin said:
Real men use Emacs.
Other people use Vi.

I have mod-reg-r/m tables tattooed on the left arm, and a vim command reference tattooed on the right. Suck it, Stallman.

valhalla said:
Squidge said:
Etinin said:
Real men use Emacs.
Other people use Vi.
Real men use the butterfly mode in Emacs.

Women don't waste time and edit files productively with vi.

http://xkcd.com/378/

regarding the topic, you could use Anjuta, but to be honest I don't think anyone will write some full-fledged apps directly on the pandora, as it's a really small screen

Real programmers use a magnetized needle and a steady hand.
Back to topic, this is something I actually thought of doing with a Pandora, it would be a really convenient way to test a game and edit the source code on the go! I'm still pretty much a programming n00b, but usually when I have to time to learn, I'm nowhere near my computer. I think this would be an ingenious use for the Pandora.

OT:
For some reason, I can only post once per day. I wrote this post yesterday but got the following message:
[#103128] The administrator has limited the number of new posts you can submit within a short time frame. Please wait 30 seconds before replying or posting a new topic.

Jourdy288 said:
Real programmers use a magnetized needle and a steady hand.
Back to topic, this is something I actually thought of doing with a Pandora, it would be a really convenient way to test a game and edit the source code on the go! I'm still pretty much a programming n00b, but usually when I have to time to learn, I'm nowhere near my computer. I think this would be an ingenious use for the Pandora.

OT:
For some reason, I can only post once per day. I wrote this post yesterday but got the following message:
[#103128] The administrator has limited the number of new posts you can submit within a short time frame. Please wait 30 seconds before replying or posting a new topic.
Python will be perfect for you, then.

Oh and 30 seconds are a lot less than one day, what are you talking about? And we all have that limitation, not just you.

I'm quite serious, I had to wait a day before posting again, I tried posting within two minutes, and nothing. If this post goes through it will be amazing.

Jourdy288 said:
I'm quite serious, I had to wait a day before posting again, I tried posting within two minutes, and nothing. If this post goes through it will be amazing.
Probably the Bebo thing

Jourdy288 said:

I had the same problem a day or two ago, so I posted in the Suggestions forum.
EvilDragon says an NTP server shit itself, but everything is now back to norbal.

DroneB Dev said:
chole said:
code highlighting ... kate ... xml files ... version 2.5 ... 156 file types

Nice, i really didnt know that, at least for the last time i used kate (5 years ago?)

Heh, the version I'm primarily using is the one from kde3.5, which is Kate 2.5.7, and that's from 2005. It's a do-everything editor, and as with all do-everything programs, it is pretty darn likely that the program may have had the capability you were looking for, but it simply wasn't obvious to you where to find it on account of all the clutter.

well, thaat might solve the code highlighting now for the Compilation, im more insterested into getting a J2SE /J2ME Project Compiler.

its been long since the last time i used C so its gotta be nuts for me to compile multi file projects.

For another alternative, I've heard good things about the Code::Blocks IDE. I don't think it's built particularly well for java compilation, though.

(now that i remember is there a implementation of JAVAC for ARM!?!?)

Well, Sun has a tutorial on using javac for the Sharp Zaurus, which was an Linux/ARM-based PDA. It looks like the compiler is actually on the desktop side, though, so I don't know if that's what you're exactly looking for.

BTW, in joe (my console-based text editor of choice), "Ctrl-K, /" lets you pipe your entire current text file to the command of your choosing. So you could type Ctrl-K, /, awk '{print $2" "$4}' | sort | uniq, ENTER and magically your file suddenly has been stripped of all but its second and fourth columns and then sorted with duplicate lines cut out. Kate can almost do something like that, but I thumb my nose at its inability to kowtow to my will entirely in the matter.

Pre-Submit Edit: Aha, "Kate TextFilter" plugin, then "Ctrl-\". Steering it more on-topic, you can also add custom scripts to run on a file, so you can probably set it up so that doing "Tools -> External Tools -> Run Script" invokes your compiler of choice.

all righto, all that is left to do is to get a class member/code prediction.

Back