Programming Language

invinciblegod

I am still sort of new at this, but I want to know what programming language is used for gp2x? I only know how to code in C++ and VHDL so I may not be able to program anything. Nontheless, I want to try it so can someone tell me what program and language they use to code their application or games in?

I think its SDL and C/C++ so you should be ok.
I, on the other hand, only know java, and many basic langugaes, so there is no way for me to program it. Is java similar to C/C++, or is there a conversion guide on what functions did what and stuff?

the basic parts of java is very similar. Like all the if statements and what not. Syntax is different. I don't know about the advanced functions though.

Of course, running a JVM on the unit should be fully doable, though more limited than on a desktop of course. I wonder if theres any JVMs with extra operations or JNI's for SDL? Hmm..

jeff

I think its SDL and C/C++ so you should be ok.
I, on the other hand, only know java, and many basic langugaes, so there is no way for me to program it. Is java similar to C/C++, or is there a conversion guide on what functions did what and stuff?

If you know Java you should be able to pick up C++ pretty quick. Java was intentionally designed to be similar to C/C++ to entice programmers from those languages in its early days. That's not to say you'll be writing incredibly complex software in an afternoon, but with Google, a reference manual or two, and a bit of practice you should pick it up in no time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I took a College Programming cource for Java, and they gave me the full libraries for the C++/C# visual stuido.net
Can I use that to compile stuff for c?
NVM, I just read the first tutorial...

I took a College Programming cource for Java, and they gave me the full libraries for the C++/C# visual stuido.net

For just learning the language it should be fine, but if you're making games for the GP2X you might want to get DJWillis's GP2X toolchain. You can find info about it here. I haven't tried setting it up yet myself, so I can't help you with that but it's there when you're ready for it. :)

For just learning the language it should be fine, but if you're making games for the GP2X you might want to get DJWillis's GP2X toolchain. You can find info about it here. I haven't tried setting it up yet myself, so I can't help you with that but it's there when you're ready for it. :)
Well, actually, Ive been doing java for about 2.5 years. I just took that college course to enhance my knowledge for getting ready for the AP exam on it.

Ya, i was looking through the tutorials, and it is almost exact. And with the new 5.0 java standard, they added functions like printf, and stuff, so its more like c then ever. This isn't going to be a hard transition.

I'm also trying to "port" myself from Java to C++ I've only gone through the basics but it's seems very similar. Java on GP2X would still be nice though :)

Hey, why not port KVM (ie. the standard "old" J2ME implementation, CLDC1.1, MIDP2.0, how superseeded by CLDC HotSpot)? The source is available from Sun, and has a Linux branch... albeit it's X11 linked. Of course, there's the whole problem of the Sun Licence, but it shoudn't affect a Linux port.

Wait, Java can be compiled to machine code for the GP2X processor?

Sounds like Christmas came early.

Back