Problems With Webbrowsing

loz_the_guru

i cant think of a good custom member title. Sugges
Website
Visit site
im having problems viewing webpages. its not all sites, just certain ones with no apparent reason for it. example, bbc.co.uk, any .ac.uk sites, etc. its not to do with my browser as ive tried firefox, ie and opera. i reset hte "winsock" or whatever it is not lnog ago, and ive cleared my cache. Ive also tried to connect directly to the ip (http://152.71.150.15), so i dont think its DNS. really ive no idea whats wrong, anyone got any ideas?

:unsure: Maybe they're REALLY busy?
It's that time of year ;)

bbc works okay for me
Try again later

What kind of problems?
Page errors? Not loading?

connection refused in firefox, its definitely not cos theyre busy, its a wide variety of pages i just used those two as examples. im really at my wits ends, my ISP says theres no problems there end.

A scan with spybot and adaware, Worth a try.

EDIT: Maybe try contacting your isp to see if there is any problems at their end. Service line status or some such thing on their homepage maybe.

Trooper

loz_the_guru posted on Aug 19 2005 at 10:42 PM said:
nope, im on wireless.

We've had this discussion before recently but...where is your wireless connection coming from, what is giving the signal?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive rang up my ISP, and theres no problem there end. Ive got full signal strength and theyve tested it thoroughly with absolutely no loss of information, so it must be a problem my end. I presume software but cant think what. Im not exactly sure what sort of service is, so ill atttempt a brief and simplistic explanation:

I have a d-link box, which the cable from the antenna outside goes into, with the ethernet cable connecting to my pc. Im not exactly sure waht sort of service it is, but the url is www.w3z.co.uk . sorry i cant give you more info, i just dont know anything else!

loz_the_guru posted on Aug 20 2005 at 05:35 AM said:
Ive rang up my ISP, and theres no problem there end. Ive got full signal strength and theyve tested it thoroughly with absolutely no loss of information, so it must be a problem my end. I presume software but cant think what. Im not exactly sure what sort of service is, so ill atttempt a brief and simplistic explanation:

I have a d-link box, which the cable from the antenna outside goes into, with the ethernet cable connecting to my pc. Im not exactly sure waht sort of service it is, but the url is www.w3z.co.uk . sorry i cant give you more info, i just dont know anything else!
YMMV, but you should be able to get info about your connection through the modem.

Go to http://192.168.0.1/ on the computer that is having the trouble receiving the connection, as well as the one that is wired and properly accesses the internet, and copy and paste all the information on those pages here.

There may be sensitive information on those pages, I doubt it but be careful. However, if in doubt, leave it in there, because any of the info that's there can be used to help us.

The pc thats having probelms gets a connection refused from that address, and its the only one im using at the mo. I know this isnt very helpful but its all i can do, sorry!

Okay. Let me recap.

You have a pc with a wireless connection to a router connected to broadband.

The PC doesn't see the internet at all wirelessly.

My suggestion is to go through all the set-up steps again and don't say 'Yup! I'm sure that's right' until you've actually checked (and double checked).
All of the tick boxes, numbers, plugs and sockets.
It has usually been something simple and obvious that I've overlooked before.

Are there status leds on either wireless end to show data?
Do the leds on the router do anything when the PC is trying to link up.

Try http://168.192.100.1 to access the router/modem status pages

If the PC can see some of the internet you need to tracert bbc.com the sites that fail

woah...funny thing happened, after I changed my ip from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.2 (in order to help with my mac troubles in another thread), the sites in question started working. But low and behold this morning when i booted up, its still not working. crap.

loz_the_guru posted on Aug 21 2005 at 05:19 AM said:
woah...funny thing happened, after I changed my ip from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.2 (in order to help with my mac troubles in another thread), the sites in question started working. But low and behold this morning when i booted up, its still not working. crap.
None of those addresses are your IP address. They are addresses on your local network. How do you think you changed this? What program did you use to 'make the difference' to allow webbrowsing again?

loz_the_guru posted on Aug 21 2005 at 10:19 AM said:

[Hijack]

Talking of that 'other thread', did it work?

[/Hijack]

AXE: Nope, but i managed to get them both on the same local area network. it took 6+ hours to transfger 2.6 gig though!!! And what i was trying to do still didnt work. bugger. Thankjs for the help anyhoo though.

Back