Network Problems

Exo

Website
Visit site
this is more support related but I think theres a good chance I will get a better response than the other support forum I tryed

My connection occasionally drops and if running something like Bittorent or emule / bf1942 online my Pc locks up and requires a reset

I made the problem a little better by swaping my sounds cards pci socket now its not sharing any IRQ`s but its still disconnecting me

After the connection has dropped doing a ipconfig /release and then /renew seems to get my connection going again :D

I cant go out and leave my downloading and expect it to be doing what it should be when I get back I got the 2 messages from the log just before I loose connection...

warning
Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 0001292542D2. The following error occured:
The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

Error

The IP address lease 10.0.0.6 for the Network Card with network address 0001292542D2 has been denied by the DHCP server 0.0.0.0 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message).

my network card is a Realtek Rtl8169/8110 family Gigabit Ethernet NIC built into my motherboard also have a Nvidia one also built in that dose the same thing

my laptop is also connected to the router through the usb interface and it dosnt seem to have any problems

anyone have any suggestions ?

Thanks ;)

Your network card most likely cant handle the amount of connections bit torrent makes. Try a newer/better quality card.

hm i dont think its the network card, i would say its the router that crashes.
well solution is the same, turn th max connections in you p2p programm lower

I'll also say it's probably the router, since the DHCP server doesn't seem to be working well. Your network card is a stock card that comes with most pre-built computers nowadays, and is very stable - I wouldn't bother upgrading it.

Vimacs posted on Sep 10 2004 at 06:37 AM said:
hm i dont think its the network card, i would say its the router that crashes.
well solution is the same, turn th max connections in you p2p programm lower

I will try turn down connections but I did not suspect my router and it dosnt actually crash as such because I can continue as normal if I do a ipconfig /release then /renew and my laptop connected to my routers usb (network interface) port seems to be working after my connection has dropped on my PC

generalnmx posted on Sep 10 2004 at 07:06 AM said:
Is this a modem + router? Either way at try looking at the router's configuration by going to http://10.0.0.1. If it asks for a password, use either admin/(blank) or admin/admin.

Yup Modem / router
I had already been tinkering with my settings all I have done is changed my admin and user password (for access) and disabled wan side FTP and Http access and forwarded 10 ports to my PC for bittorent also setup bittorent to only use those ports
although range dosnt seem to work so I had them like this...
pub start /end Private type Host IP
1 6881 6881 6881 TCP #.#.#.#
2 6882 6882 6882 TCP #.#.#.#

Rico posted on Sep 10 2004 at 07:30 AM said:
I'll also say it's probably the router, since the DHCP server doesn't seem to be working well. Your network card is a stock card that comes with most pre-built computers nowadays, and is very stable - I wouldn't bother upgrading it.

If bittorent is running and the connection drops then my PC locks up thats what made my think it was something with my PC I had not considerd it could be my router although It was verry cheap

The router is an Origo ASR-8100 1 port adsl router also has SPI Firewall

I think I will digout my old DSL modem and give that a try and if it fixes my problem probably go for a more expensive modem/router any recommendations ?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't like modem + router combinations, I suggest just buying a Linksys router and connect that to a modem. At the very least, it's more economical since you don't have to upgrade both the modem AND router at the same time if either needs to be upgraded.

generalnmx posted on Sep 10 2004 at 09:47 PM said:
I don't like modem + router combinations, I suggest just buying a Linksys router and connect that to a modem. At the very least, it's more economical since you don't have to upgrade both the modem AND router at the same time if either needs to be upgraded.

what types of modem would work with a linksys router ?? I have never realy looked into that and not realy sure what to search for ?

Also I have been doing some testing using the USB interface on my router with my pc and disconnecting the usb when everything has locked up instantly makes everything start working again :) almost definite its the router

Thanks again for the Help I was getting kinda pissed off with the whole thing thinking my hardware was damaged in some way ;)

generalnmx posted on Sep 10 2004 at 10:47 PM said:
Yeah that's my current setup. It's bad points are that you are running two DHCP servers to begin with, and also that if you get disconnected you usually have to restart both the modem and the router (occasionally in a certain order). Then again I'm using Origo, not Linksys, and it was stupidly cheap.

what types of modem would work with a linksys router ?? I have never realy looked into that and not realy sure what to search for ?

Also I have been doing some testing using the USB interface on my router with my pc and disconnecting the usb when everything has locked up instantly makes everything start working again almost definite its the router

Thanks again for the Help I was getting kinda pissed off with the whole thing thinking my hardware was damaged in some way

Any modem you can hook up directly to your PC via an ethernet cable should work with a standard router w/ 4-port switch.

Oh, and using Ethernet + USB interfaces on the same router is always asking for trouble.

You tend to find with modem/routers that when the lease expires on your DHCP entry and your router gets pushed another IP, this can casue problems. Many ISPs have a 4 hour lease, which wouldn;t be noticable to the average surfer, but when you leave your machine on overnight on a p2p, then it can fail to correctly pick up the lease when it's renewed. The thing about this is you may notice that the already-established connections may carry on, but you cant initiate any new ones.

Usually, a PC/router reset will do the tric if the releas/renew path fails...

Axeman posted on Sep 12 2004 at 01:03 AM said:
You tend to find with modem/routers that when the lease expires on your DHCP entry and your router gets pushed another IP, this can casue problems. Many ISPs have a 4 hour lease, which wouldn;t be noticable to the average surfer, but when you leave your machine on overnight on a p2p, then it can fail to correctly pick up the lease when it's renewed. The thing about this is you may notice that the already-established connections may carry on, but you cant initiate any new ones.

Usually, a PC/router reset will do the tric if the releas/renew path fails...

I think you could be correct

I finally got around to testing my old dsl modem and suprisingly the same result!

So I got it down to the following I got to test

*Microfilters
*Extension cable (10m to phone but has been ok for quite a while)
*OS (installed recently from CD on both PCs and Sp4 from CDR on both)
*ISP (was thinking of changing to a cheaper one anyway)

Unlikely to be the filters....

OS unlikely too...

ISP? Possibly, but again unlikely...

Extension cable? Also, sorry to say, unlikely, especially if a router reset does the trick....

Who knows???

Do you NEED DHCP?
I always disable it and configure the IPs myself.
Maybe this'll help.

EvilDragon posted on Sep 14 2004 at 09:35 PM said:
Do you NEED DHCP?
I always disable it and configure the IPs myself.
Maybe this'll help.

Good point I dont need DHCP, The manual was not verry detailed but I think I can figure it out

Thanks for the help everyone I appreciate it ;)

Back