Mame Game Questions

foleyjo

Ive never looked into Mame before because Ive always been more interested in playing commodore sega and nintendo emulators but I thought Id give it a go because everyone says how good it is.

I found a few game sites to download from but am a bit confused.
Firstly I found some with Roms and some with Sampes. Whats the difference??
I also noticed a sample directory inside the mame zip file.

and secondly one of the sites has arcade games such as Robocop, Alien vs Predator, and space harrier in the mame download. When i tried them in mame they did not show up in the rom selector. Is it possible to get these to work?? If not how will I know which games are going to work before putting them on my sd card

Apart from that I dont think theres any other issues at the moment. had fun playing 1942 and burgertime :lol:

foleyjo said:
Firstly I found some with Roms and some with Sampes. Whats the difference?? I also noticed a sample directory inside the mame zip file.
ROMs are just what you're used to... samples are audio samples that are used by MAME when it's easier/better to play the sample instead of generating it via emulation. Samples go in the sample directory.

foleyjo said:
and secondly one of the sites has arcade games such as Robocop, Alien vs Predator, and space harrier in the mame download. When i tried them in mame they did not show up in the rom selector. Is it possible to get these to work?? If not how will I know which games are going to work before putting them on my sd card
Here's a list of the supported games: http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/MAME_GP2X. In general, you have to make sure that the version of the ROM set is appropriate for MAME GP2X. Some people download a complete pack including emulator and torrent, but that's illegal in most countries and we cannot recommend that course of action on this forum.

Robocop works, info is at that link above. Space Harrier and AVP are not listed. However, AVP runs in the CPS2emu: http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,5,2006.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back