Problem With Movies

drokkeh

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Hi, just got my GP2X today. I really like it but i am dissapointed in the movie playback of xvid and divx files.

It will play them but its definately not smooth as reported on reviews. It seems to lag prett bad and sometime speech is out of sync and it all becomes a blurr in action scenes.

The only thing i can think of is the transfer rate of the SD card. Its an Integral 1GB SD card bought with the GP2X from the uk distributor.

If it is the SD card, why on earth would i be supplied with a slow SD card with the GP2X knowing that movies will be slow. This is the main reason i bought it!

Apologies if this assumption is wrong.

Try re-encoding them with PocketDivX, using the iRiver template. They'll play smooth then.

Yeah, your movies are playing slow now because of your SD card, but re-encoding them will take care of it.

drokkeh posted on Sep 15 2006 at 06:37 PM said:
Hi, just got my GP2X today. I really like it but i am dissapointed in the movie playback of xvid and divx files.

It will play them but its definately not smooth as reported on reviews. It seems to lag prett bad and sometime speech is out of sync and it all becomes a blurr in action scenes.

The only thing i can think of is the transfer rate of the SD card. Its an Integral 1GB SD card bought with the GP2X from the uk distributor.

If it is the SD card, why on earth would i be supplied with a slow SD card with the GP2X knowing that movies will be slow. This is the main reason i bought it!

Apologies if this assumption is wrong.
Press 'y' to changed the mode so it no longer says 'Save'. Change it to 'Normal' or 'Full. That will fix it. I have yet to find a sainely encoded file that will not play fullspeed at full.

Last edited by a moderator:
sam fisher posted on Sep 15 2006 at 12:20 PM said:
Press 'y' to changed the mode so it no longer says 'Save'. Change it to 'Normal' or 'Full. That will fix it. I have yet to find a sainely encoded file that will not play fullspeed at full.

Yeah I had the same problem and I've played large LARGE files and they play fine, sometimes take awhile to buffer though.

Thanks for that advice. Actually seems ok now. If you play the movie from the start it is fine. Its when you skip forward it never seems to align itself again.

On another note, am i right in thinking the player doesnt include a brightness setting? Some Xvids are really dark and its a real eye-stariner to make things out at times.

I'm really pleased with the GP2X though. I bought some sony headphones and movies sound great throught it, although though its a bit annoying with the widescreen aspect, most of the screen is a black border. Oh well......

drokkeh posted on Sep 15 2006 at 03:55 PM said:
Thanks for that advice. Actually seems ok now. If you play the movie from the start it is fine. Its when you skip forward it never seems to align itself again.

On another note, am i right in thinking the player doesnt include a brightness setting? Some Xvids are really dark and its a real eye-stariner to make things out at times.

I'm really pleased with the GP2X though. I bought some sony headphones and movies sound great throught it, although though its a bit annoying with the widescreen aspect, most of the screen is a black border. Oh well......

http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,6,1679

This version has extra audio codecs and zoom function. Extract it somewhere in the SD card and rename from .gpu to .gpe.

I've got thesame problem. Some movies play really fluid but others are kind of stuttering and the sound isn't aligned. Espessially when I pause or rewind/forward. I always have to go back to the menu after a pause, go back to video and resume. That usally fixes it. But its pretty annoying. Anyone have thesame problems?

thx Sam_F that fixed an issue I was having..... Played divx/xvid for a month just fine then dropped it this morning and I must have changed the mode without knowing it and thought "crap what did that drop do?"

Well at least I got a look at the insides of my mispent youth....ewwww

Back