Problem With Executable File Names!

kalsun77

Still Fresh
I just got my GP2X yesterday for Christmas, and I've set up PicoDrive and gotten it to work with both Sega Genesis games and Sega CD. I'm having a problem however; if I go to the launcher, and launch directly from the directory, I have two files that I can execute; "PicoDrive.gpe", and "._PicoDrive.gpe". If I click on the second file, the unit just locks up. I created a .ini file in the "game" directory to make a shortcut, and now when I go to launch it, I have the .ini file displaying correctly (with the .png icon and everything), and right above it I have "._PicoDrive.ini". What am I doing wrong? How do I get these "._" files to go away? I look on the card with my computer and they don't seem to actually exist...help?

These files may be hidden - That's why you don't see them. Turn on View Hidden Files and Folders in windows Explorer (Tools>Folder Options...>view tab).

Hi kalsun77,

The initial dot in a Linux-filename makes it a "hidden" file.
If you can't see it on your computer, you seem to use Linux?
Just like Windows Explorer, you can set it to show hidden file - depending on the distribution and window-manager you are using.

Since "._PicoDrive.gpe" is not in the .zip-file in the WIZ-archive, it seems to be some kind of back-up.

rds

Kasi

kasi said:
Hi kalsun77,

Just like Windows Explorer, you can set it to show hidden file - depending on the distribution and window-manager you are using.

Since "._PicoDrive.gpe" is not in the .zip-file in the WIZ-archive, it seems to be some kind of back-up.

rds

Kasi

I'm using a Mac; I don't know how to enable hidden files on this thing :-(

Last edited by a moderator:
kasi said:
Hi kalsun77,

rds

Kasi

I'm using a Mac; I don't know how to enable hidden files on this thing :-(

EDIT: Ok, found a hidden file revealer, and they still are not there. It's as if the Wiz itself is "inventing" them somehow.

Where the"._" files come from, I can't tell. I don't have them in any of my folders.
I don't think that these few bytes really are a problem.
If you want to get rid of them you can get termula http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,8,163.
Go to the folder in question and type
Code:
ls -a
to show all files.
With
Code:
rm ._thefiletodelete
you should be able to delete the files.
Please be aware there is no "undelete".

Good luck.

rds

Kasi

Is there not just some way to stop it from displaying the hidden files like that? It also displays all of the files on the SD card that are supposed to be hidden, like the .Trash folder and such.

kalsun77 said:
Is there not just some way to stop it from displaying the hidden files like that? It also displays all of the files on the SD card that are supposed to be hidden, like the .Trash folder and such.

That should be a setting of the GP2X-Menu / the launcher. I don't know if it can be modified by some ini or config file.
Unfortunately, the mainboard of my computer is bricked and I have to replace it (including CPU, chipset, DDR3 RAM etc. B) )
However, for the time being I am "forced" to use my wife's laptop with comes with ... Windows XP ... :angry2: .
So I can currently not telnet into my WIZ to check if there IS a config file to set up. Whenever I proceed there, I will let you know.

btw, I am using an editor "kwrite" which creates a backup file adding a "~" to the filename every time I modify a file.
I don't know about Mac, maybe that is some kind of setting for backup files, adding "._" ? :unsure:
If that is the case and you find the setting to stop it, at least you could avoid filling your SD-card with backup files popping up in the menu everytime you edit a file.

rds

Kasi

Back