Shortcuts Do Not Work!

Maybe he also doesn't understand that the paths in the .ini file are relative to the "game" directory. This is all covered in the article I linked him to anyway. Picodrive certainly works btw ;)

I just tried changing the apps name back to PicoDrive and modifying the ini file to accommodate that change. No luck.

I haven't tried upgrading firmware yet, because I heard that the latest is on the Wiz when it first arrives. Could that be the issue?

Also, I'm using textedit (Mac OS X) to make the ini files, and to change the txt to ini I just change the extension. I'm not sure if that matters.

Please post a directory listing of your /game directory on the SD Card and the .ini file you're having problems with and we can help you :)

cabc3c40a2.png

CODE
[info]
name="Genesis"
path="/Genesis/Genesis.gpe"
icon="/Genesis/Genesis.png"

EDIT: On the Wiz, it should be noted that the junk "._Genesis.gpe" and the "._Genesis.ini" which Mac OS X creates are visible. Could that be the problem? And, if so, how do I delete files on the Wiz?

Your directory tree and contents of ini file looks right. All should work.
._Genesis.gpe and ._Genesis.ini are unlikely to make any difference for Wiz.
You can't delete files using Wiz builtin file manager/launcher/whatever. Use your OS for that.

Again, does your PicoDrive work when run using launcher?

EDIT: I renemed my PicoDrive.gpe to Genesis.gpe and all works fine.
Maybe the problem is your Mac uses something different than newline character for line breaks..

chickendung posted on May 24 2009 at 09:55 PM said:
Yes, the app works fine in launcher. I'll install windows and try it again. Do I need a special program to make an ini file?
Just a normal text editor, but make sure you're using Unix line endings (\n).

Last edited by a moderator:
Notepad++ (freeware windows notepad replacement)
This can save in unix style

I use it to create my ini files.

Best you can do is:
- Take an ini from one of the files on the wiz nand
- Edit the content in notepad++
- Save it and place it on the root of the sd

Else, when you start from scratch, just type in:
This is an example, this is my ini file for picodrive!
[info]
name="PicoDrive"
path="/picod/PicoDrive.gpe"
icon="/picod/PicoDrive.png"

and save as uni script file (*.sh, *.bsh) and rename picod.sh to picod.ini

Viewing it in Windows Notepad it looks something like this:
CODE
[info]║name="PicoDrive - Sega MegaDrive Emu"║path="/picod/PicoDrive.gpe"║icon="/picod/PicoDrive.png"

Used ║ for the enter tags (forums execute the enter, so i could not show the little squares, so i used ║ for it)

I have picodrive working from the "Wiz Games" menu option.

Made a youtube clip (sorry, done quick and with no sound except the power supply sound :p )
YouTube clip

(Notice, i renamed it wrong in this example, it should be picod.ini instead of picodrive.ini (you notice on the end, when the wiz gui shows up :p )

DjoeN posted on May 24 2009 at 02:58 PM) Notepad++ (freeware windows notepad replacement said:
This can save in unix style

I use it to create my ini files.

Best you can do is:
- Take an ini from one of the files on the wiz nand
- Edit the content in notepad++
- Save it and place it on the root of the sd

Else, when you start from scratch, just type in:
This is an example, this is my ini file for picodrive!
[info]
name="PicoDrive"
path="/picod/PicoDrive.gpe"
icon="/picod/PicoDrive.png"
and save as uni script file (*.sh, *.bsh) and rename picod.sh to picod.ini

Viewing it in Windows Notepad it looks something like this:
CODE
[info]║name="PicoDrive - Sega MegaDrive Emu"║path="/picod/PicoDrive.gpe"║icon="/picod/PicoDrive.png"

Used ║ for the enter tags (forums execute the enter, so i could not show the little squares, so i used ║ for it)

I have picodrive working from the "Wiz Games" menu option.

Made a youtube clip (sorry, done quick and with no sound except the power supply sound :p )
YouTube clip

(Notice, i renamed it wrong in this example, it should be picod.ini instead of picodrive.ini (you notice on the end, when the wiz gui shows up :p )

Thanks! I figured it out before you posted, but thanks for such depth in your post! :D

Just thought I'd mention this quick tidbit because I didn't see a post about it yet...

Anywho, I was having trouble with this too, I'm running your basic Windows XP setup using WordPad to edit my *.ini files and I noticed that the characters are case sensitive. I was pulling my hair out wondering why it wasn't working at first because I knew the paths were correct but that little difference between "/pico" and "/Pico" made it work.

MiOdd posted on May 27 2009 at 08:53 PM said:
Just thought I'd mention this quick tidbit because I didn't see a post about it yet...
Anywho, I was having trouble with this too, I'm running your basic Windows XP setup using WordPad to edit my *.ini files and I noticed that the characters are case sensitive. I was pulling my hair out wondering why it wasn't working at first because I knew the paths were correct but that little difference between "/pico" and "/Pico" made it work.

Correct, Linux is case sensative, the files readme.txt and ReadMe.txt for instance are totally different files, and can reside in the same directory. Similarly the folders Game and game are totally different. You need to take more care in linux as Windows is a bit lazy in this respect.

Thank you everyone for their help.

I used the Mac OS X application "Jedit X" to convert the text files created by Text Edit to files with Unix line endings. You can download Jedit X here:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/24772

Now the icons show on both the "Wiz games" and the "built-n games" menus.

To get rid of the "._" files that Mac OS X installs in USB devices like SD cards and the internal memory of the Wiz, you can use the application "Hidden Cleaner." You can download it here:

http://mac.softpedia.com/progDownload/Hidd...load-33032.html

Finally the menus look the way I like them!

Is it possible to create shortcuts to apps in NAND?

I tried the same procedure (placing .ini file in game directory of NAND), and the app name appears under "Built-In Games", but the icon doesn't display and selecting the app does nothing.

Thanks in advance.

Back