Preordered one...

Desertsniper

Still Fresh
Been lurking and following from the beginning. Then when I thought they were never coming out I lost interest. Well I remembered about the pandora a few months back and what do you know? They are still here! So I ordered one! Can't wait.

Welcome aboard!
grin.gif

What are you planning to use yours for?

Thank you! Well I plan on gaming with it primarily. But I would really like to explore what else it can do. Hopefully contribute in some way to the community!

I also recently pre-ordered one. Unfortunately, I only found out about this project last week. Then again, I hope I will not need to be as patient as the early adopters... What would be the expected shipping time for pre-orders placed now? (early April, 2012)

My main uses for the Pandora would be:

- work or play on the train to and from work (I currently take an ipad, but to be honest, ipads are not very useful for work, and most games are very crappy too; it is the very opposite of open, and I cannot even use my headphones since they don't fit in the apple jack)

- play anywhere at home

- connect to my beamer, which has S-video input so I hope that'll work

- perhaps do a little coding or porting myself, I'm a bit rusty on that but I have been using GNU/Linux since 1998 so I have some experience with it

- when my daughter is old enough (she is now 6 weeks old, so maybe in 6 years or so), the Pandora will be her first computer, just like the C64 was for me

Well, production speed will ramp up soon (right now we're at 100 per week :) ), so you'll probably get it within the next 6 weeks :)

I preordered mine on March 25th. Can I expect a preorder confirmation email soon?

^

I remember reading that people who ordered around the beginning of February is what's happening currently.

I also recently pre-ordered one. Unfortunately, I only found out about this project last week. Then again, I hope I will not need to be as patient as the early adopters... What would be the expected shipping time for pre-orders placed now? (early April, 2012)

My main uses for the Pandora would be:

- work or play on the train to and from work (I currently take an ipad, but to be honest, ipads are not very useful for work, and most games are very crappy too; it is the very opposite of open, and I cannot even use my headphones since they don't fit in the apple jack)

- play anywhere at home

- connect to my beamer, which has S-video input so I hope that'll work

- perhaps do a little coding or porting myself, I'm a bit rusty on that but I have been using GNU/Linux since 1998 so I have some experience with it

- when my daughter is old enough (she is now 6 weeks old, so maybe in 6 years or so), the Pandora will be her first computer, just like the C64 was for me

Offtopic for Panda, but on-topic for annoyed by Apple :)

Headphone jack issue?

Frraaak, shit like that is why I hate/am-cautious about Apple; I got the original iphone in a dev model to work with, and I found about 10 game-killers in the first hour.. one being the headphone jack. (I mean, its a universal standard, and people with multi-hundred-$$ headphones are not going to be impressed.. with the original iphone and itouch being aimed for music lovers, it was _weird_.) Anyway, I'm fully with you..

.. at the time I did pick up a $5 adapter somewhere, so that real headphones could be used. It might be an option for you, in a pinch.

Welcome aboard :)

jeff

There much more wrong with Apple iPads than their nonstandard audio jacks, eg the terribly closed appstore, lack of USB port, no way to manage files (except by buying some file manager app), etc. Still, it has some benefits, eg the huge multitouch screen, which I can use as a piano keyboard - I even paid 15 euro for a great app in which I can compose MIDI files.

I also have a Sony VAIO P series, which is very nice and has many of the advantages the Pandora has. It runs Ubuntu Linux out of the box, has an SD slot, a nice keyboard, nice cpu etc. Still, the Pandora offers more in my opinion.

- the VAIO is about twice as expensive, and twice as heavy and large. Still very small, but not like the Pandora. It is slightly too big to be used as a a handheld, too small for your lap, so typically you use a table.

- it has a very impressive 1600x768 screen, but to be honest, that resolution is just silly for an 8" screen. The human eye does have its limitations, so you end up using very big font sizes and wasting precious cpu/gpu power on rendering pixels you can barely see

- the battery life! It really sucks on the VAIO, even though I have spent quite some time on installing experimental kernels that make full use of lowpower cpu features. When I first had the VAIO, in 2009, I could get maybe 2-3 hours out of it, maybe 4 if I would literally do nothing. By now, I'm lucky to get 45 minutes out of it, and if charging was too long ago, it won't even have enough juice left to boot up. This is a real killer.

- no touch screen, no hardware volume control, no gaming controls

Back