Powered Usb Hubs

SiN

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Is it possible to use normal perephirals/devices on the GP2X with a powered USB hub?

Or is it more complicated than that?

if we have a GNU-Linux kernel as said, no problem on which usb devices you want use. We should have the drivers so why a powered usb cannot work?

i think so

the USB port we have IS an host port? otherwise how can you download from digital camera photos?

Oh MY GOD!!!!

it's totally unusefull. it's a shame and a lame.

WHY?
if you put linux on a machine such that
WHY does not put an usb host port inside???

that's the second HUGE error i notice in gp2x after the lack of bluetooth o any network.

i'm becoming sad about that.
i hope buying a smart toy, and i get a stupid emulator.

what a MESS :(((

Not sure, but when I looked the chip does support host mode, just not on the same pins that are bought to the device mode connector. It really is a shame that they didn't put that extra connector on :(

Oh MY GOD!!!!

it's totally unusefull. it's a shame and a lame.

WHY?
if you put linux on a machine such that
WHY does not put an usb host port inside???

that's the second HUGE error i notice in gp2x after the lack of bluetooth o any network.

i'm becoming sad about that.
i hope buying a smart toy, and i get a stupid emulator.

what a MESS :(((

Fortunately (as it seems) workarounds might be possible via the SDIO and Ext port.

Not sure, but when I looked the chip does support host mode, just not on the same pins that are bought to the device mode connector. It really is a shame that they didn't put that extra connector on :(

I agree. It's a dumb.

Second mini usb socket would be an ideal solution. Then the GP2x would have fast USB2 for transfering data to/from SD cards and slow USB host for connecting a peripherals.

Last edited by a moderator:
i don't like SDIO solution, because i need the SD port for storage, and not for devices.

I think that if the chip really support host port, i need to do what GamePark didn't do, as an hack to attach another port (this time the host one) directly on the chip.

what a MESS :(

1.1 is ~ 2Mb/s
2.0 is ~ 480Mb/s

i don't like sdio solution because i pay for a chip that support it, why i have to buy somthing else.

I will modify mine, but i think that this discussion can be really usefull for engeeneers that don't think about what people pay and what people want.

just my 2 cents

I know there are SDIO cards with both WiFi and storage. I don't know if there are cards that have USB or USB/storage.

What's the speed difference between USB 1.1 and 2.0?

A drastic one.
12Mbits/second for USB 1.1
480Mbits/second for USB 2.0

In a practical use USB2.0 is not that different from using a harddisk connected via IDE or SerialATA. However USB1.1 is perfectly usable for a reading data for such things like movie playing and of course for a keyboard and mouse/trackball.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wiki is your friend ;)
Wiki: Secure Digital

"A number of other devices have been proposed but not yet implemented, including RS-232 serial adapters, TV tuners, fingerprint scanners, SDIO to USB host/slave adapters (which would allow an SDIO-equipped handheld device to use USB peripherals and/or interface to PCs), magnetic stripe readers, combination Bluetooth/Wi-Fi/GPS transceivers, Ethernet adapters, cellular modems (PCS, CDPD, GSM, etc.), and APRS/TNC adapters."

Back