Mobile Text Input

kevtufc

Still Fresh
I'm currently thinking of getting a GP2X; but the one thing I can't find out is: Is there a good way to do mobile text input? I know you can plug in a usb keyboard with the breakout box and a powered hub, but can you attach a mini keyboard for use on the move?

KevTUFC posted on Aug 25 2006 at 01:19 PM said:
I'm currently thinking of getting a GP2X; but the one thing I can't find out is: Is there a good way to do mobile text input? I know you can plug in a usb keyboard with the breakout box and a powered hub, but can you attach a mini keyboard for use on the move?

You'll probably eventually be able to. I think someone on here was talking about designing one or something...

By the way, I only clicked on this thread because I looked at your user name and saw the letters 'KFC' capitalized at first glance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Come on now, only trolls expect to get fed in an online discussion forum :p

Shikaku posted on Aug 25 2006 at 02:19 PM said:
You could make it yourself you know...

That's true, it should be quite easy to hack an EXT connector onto a mini USB keyboard. Then all we'd need are programs that support it, and I know that at least Quake does, and there might be others, but I'm not sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
The EXT port has two serial ports in it.

Palm pilot foldable keyboards output in std RS232 serial ascii.

All you need to do is have one GND wire and a TX and RX wire going to the right spots.

There was talk that the people who made the chatboard thingies for the GP would do the same for the GP2x but I don't know what came of it.

I've got a Palm Pilot board (AUD$20 on Ebay) already soldered but have got a EXT port adapter yet.

if you want to do a quick and dirty one you can get a power thing with the correct connector on it at menards for like 10$, course thats if you have a menards nearby, its got 4 pins in it i think

Back