Power Requirements For 1.8 Hdd

toxic_d

Still Fresh
I was wondering how many would fork out the cash for a 1.8 hdd vs a 2.5 hdd to extend the batter life in the bob? My personal bob will have a 20 gig hitachi 1.8 hdd built in. 4200 rpm will be more than fast enough for the usb 1.1 connection the host supports.

BTW I wonder if cr8tive Leo has finished his project and if he has added a hdd along with the kbd mod he did here http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=29774

Last edited by a moderator:
For those who are interested here is a link to the spec sheet for the hitachi that I will be using.... Its only a 20 gig but it was cheap and small cheap being under $30 (won on ebay) new.

Toxic_d

toxic_d said:
For those who are interested here is a link to the spec sheet for the hitachi that I will be using.... Its only a 20 gig but it was cheap and small cheap being under $30 (won on ebay) new.

Toxic_d
I bought a 15GB Hitachi, are the connections the same as a 2.5"? That is the style I got, the long side is the same dimensions as a 2.5's short side, so it should fit in anything a 2.5" will.

AFAIK there are 4 types maybe 5, Ipod style, FFC ribbon style, CF footprint style(might be 0.8"), PCMCIA form factor, and 2.5" style.

nubie, the hitachi model drive c4k60 is available in the two types that I mentioned ZIF and ide (44 pin) and the ide is pin compatible with the 2.5" drives.

As I understand the cf is a spec on its own and is infact a smaller drive. The FFC I have yet to run across, but the pcmcia and the 2.5 I believe are the zif and the ide hitachi mentions in the spec sheets. The zif style requires even less power than the ide version and is what I am hoping to have won. B)

Either way I have to pick up a cheap enclosure to steal the usb-ide or zif-ide circuit for integration in the the gp2x. :ph34r:

Toxic_d

toxic_d said:
nubie, the hitachi model drive c4k60 is available in the two types that I mentioned ZIF and ide (44 pin) and the ide is pin compatible with the 2.5" drives.

As I understand the cf is a spec on its own and is infact a smaller drive. The FFC I have yet to run across, but the pcmcia and the 2.5 I believe are the zif and the ide hitachi mentions in the spec sheets. The zif style requires even less power than the ide version and is what I am hoping to have won. B)

Either way I have to pick up a cheap enclosure to steal the usb-ide or zif-ide circuit for integration in the the gp2x. :ph34r:

Toxic_d
I think FFC is ZIF. Zero insertion force because there is a flip-up lock. There are both types on eBay, I wouldn't get the ZIF because it is proprietary for Creative and there is a really good chance that you won't be able to use it, at least that is what I garnered from the model I read a PDF on (and a review that covered the 1.8" drives on TomsHardwareGuide). Even if you made an adapter there is a good chance it will be more cumbersome and fragile than a proper 44-pin 2.5" style adaptor.

I don't see how a different connector can make the same drive use less power? Seems fishy to me.

The 2.5" IDE to USB are everywhere.

toxic_d said:
Sorry I didn't realize that I had forgotten to put this link
http://www.hitachigst.com/tech/techlib.nsf...60_PC_v7_sp.pdf
in my last post about the drive I purchased...

Small diffs mentioned but it appears there is an ide drive with similar specs though not sure how to identify it.

Toxic_d

I don't know, maybe scan the site you bought it from:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=120105187204
ATA-5 (ATA 100) pin compatible

You will know if one edge is full of 44 pins, then it will use a standard 2.5" adaptor. The thing to do might be to get a 1.8" USB adaptor that supplies all the power from the USB and is really small. The ones from enclosures tend to have a pretty big circuit board, there are a few "bare" ones, but they usually include SATA or 3.5" 40-pin adaptors on the same plug, negating their usefulness for our purpose.

This is a really tiny drive, look at the picture of it with the USB cable end for a sense of just how small http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822173025

It is expensive, but at least everything is integrated, and really small.

Back