Power Management Questions

PAH

Still Fresh
I've seen posts talking about Pandora having power management features in the SoC and video chip, but I'm wondering how this will map out to the user:

Will Pandora support hibernating? If so, will it support the hibernation file(s) being located on the SD card rather than the internal flash?

Will the power switch be a hard power switch or a soft power switch? If soft, what will its behavior be and will its behavior be configurable? Will it have a way to force a power off in case things are locked up?

Can software detect if the clamshell is opened or closed? If so, will that be tied into the power management?

Thanks,

Pete

PAH said:
I've seen posts talking about Pandora having power management features in the SoC and video chip, but I'm wondering how this will map out to the user:

Will Pandora support hibernating? If so, will it support the hibernation file(s) being located on the SD card rather than the internal flash?

Will the power switch be a hard power switch or a soft power switch? If soft, what will its behavior be and will its behavior be configurable? Will it have a way to force a power off in case things are locked up?

Can software detect if the clamshell is opened or closed? If so, will that be tied into the power management?

Thanks,

Pete
next time search the forums before asking redundant questions.
but, since im bored anyway:
yes. yes.
soft. yes. of course.
yes. yes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Snu said:
PAH said:

Thanks,

Pete
next time search the forums before asking redundant questions.
but, since im bored anyway:
yes. yes.
soft. yes. of course.
yes. yes.

Is it in the FAQ? Search of hibernating sees more about the DS. I assume it sleeps well because it's an arm device but I don't recall reading too much about it.

Sphinxter said:
Is it in the FAQ? Search of hibernating sees more about the DS. I assume it sleeps well because it's an arm device but I don't recall reading too much about it.

It's not in the FAQ, but it is in the list of specs (all the way at the bottom). Search the forums for "suspend" and you'll have better luck ;)

Chip said:
Sphinxter said:

It's not in the FAQ, but it is in the list of specs (all the way at the bottom). Search the forums for "suspend" and you'll have better luck ;)

The part I was wondering about is the closing of the lid to hibernate functionality, is by switch or lack of input?. Sorry even after search still a bit of grey area to me.

Sphinxter said:
Chip said:
Sphinxter said:

The part I was wondering about is the closing of the lid to hibernate functionality, is by switch or lack of input?. Sorry even after search still a bit of grey area to me.

The is a hall effect sensor under the keypad. When you close the lid the magnet in the speaker trips it and the system knows the lid is closed. You will be able to define what the system should do when the lid closes - Suspend to RAM, suspend to disk, or shut down.

Back