Pandora Power Supply

ljones

Unless I'm being very silly/mistaken if it has already been discussed here in which case I apologise, but I was wondering this - what voltage/current will the pandora need to run? Will it be (for example) 12V@500mA, or more or less? And what sort of connector/power supply will be used for the pandora (I'm guessing it'll just be a "normal" housebrick style power supply?).

ljones

Afaik the Pandora is LithiumIon so, it should have 3,7V input.

ljones said:
Unless I'm being very silly/mistaken if it has already been discussed here in which case I apologise, but I was wondering this - what voltage/current will the pandora need to run? Will it be (for example) 12V@500mA, or more or less? And what sort of connector/power supply will be used for the pandora (I'm guessing it'll just be a "normal" housebrick style power supply?).

ljones
Whatever it is, it's going to be supplied, so no confusing scenarios like we had with the GP2X.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
@chad: epic lulz

I don't get why people think it is one or the other. Personally, I usually carry only one console at a time, and that often ends up being something small, like an SP. Convergence is nice... But NOTHING gets you geek cred better than carrying 10 game consoles around...at once. And utility belts are for geek wannabes, REAL ones use a gadget bandoleer.

On topic: I bet it can use the PSP wall charger, or else my cell phone (and ipod, and n800) could say they were "PSP compatible" via the mini USB port. ;)

palmertech said:
But NOTHING gets you geek cred better than carrying 10 game consoles around...at once.
I usually carry two PSP's around with me....if that gets me anything :)

1. Will it be a clumsy brick, the size of a standard laptop charger (thus the size of Pandora)?
2. Or will it be small like a cellphone charger?
3. Or will it be built into Pandora, and you will just connect Pandora with a power cord to the nearest socket?
4. Will it support US/EU voltages: 100V/50Hz vs. 230V/60Hz ?

cosurgi said:
1. Will it be a clumsy brick, the size of a standard laptop charger (thus the size of Pandora)?
3. Or will it be built into Pandora, and you will just connect Pandora with a power cord to the nearest socket?
Good question, I think it depends on price and amperage. I know USB is only supposed to provide 500mah, but if we want the brick to charge and play we might want more.

I lucked into one of these a while back for a couple dollars: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006345U?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

It is small, slim, solid state, and provides a whole amp at 5v, also it has a fold away jack. I could probably use it to charge/run it.

It probably wouldn't be cost effective to include a little one like that though, it is an intriguing thought to have a brick as large as the Pandora, but I doubt it will be that big. Usually one that size is putting out 3 to 5A, and the pandora shouldn't ever be using that much power.

AireTamStorm said:
cosurgi said:

Isn't US 60Hz?
A decent switching power supply will easily handle both 110V and 220V at both 50hz and 60hz.

As for the size of the PSU, that all depends on the Wattage rating. Higher Wattage means faster charging (within the safe limits of the battery) but also means larger components and therefore a larger PSU. While some power regulating and conversion circuitry will necessarily exist on the Pandora circuit board (the system needs several different voltages for different components), there will need to be some external adapter to supply a steady DC voltage. This will probably be either 3.7V or 5V.

Chip said:
AireTamStorm said:
cosurgi said:

Isn't US 60Hz?
A decent switching power supply will easily handle both 110V and 220V at both 50hz and 60hz.

As for the size of the PSU, that all depends on the Wattage rating. Higher Wattage means faster charging (within the safe limits of the battery) but also means larger components and therefore a larger PSU. While some power regulating and conversion circuitry will necessarily exist on the Pandora circuit board (the system needs several different voltages for different components), there will need to be some external adapter to supply a steady DC voltage. This will probably be either 3.7V or 5V.

I think AireTamStorm was commenting on the fact that cosurgi seemed to state that US was 50Hz and EU was 60 Hz.

-God Ginrai

Hello there good peeps!

A lot of consumer devices I have bought within the last two years have had world compatible power supplies, ie AA battery charger, Olympus digital camera, Sony HD-MD. The plug for the wall itself was a normal US plug, but electrically it was good from 100v-240v.

I'm hoping this is the case for Pandora's plug. No big deal if it is a Deutsch or British plug, just so long as I don't have to worry about REGULATED power supplies for the TV OUT to work etc... (very annoyed that my cradle for the GP2X is collecting dust rather than data).

PEACE

Link

Posted on: Jul 21 2008, 12:02 PM by craigix
Interestingly the Pandora should work with a PSP power supply.

cosurgi said:
5. Is it bigger than a breadbox?
6. Is it something found around the home?
... :lol:

The PSP power adapter fits perfectly in the rev2 board connector. The rev1 connector was a bit thin in the tip but the new part is thicker. It is a nice snug fit for a dependable connection.

Our power requirements match the PSP pretty much identically: 5V @ 2A

slint said:
Afaik the Pandora is LithiumIon so, it should have 3,7V input.
As the Pandora supports USB-Host it hast to deliver 5V output
Voltage via USB.
That's why it wouldn't be feasible to supply it with an input voltage
lower than 5V.

Abaddon666 said:
As the Pandora supports USB-Host it hast to deliver 5V output Voltage via USB.
That's why it wouldn't be feasible to supply it with an input voltage lower than 5V.
Rev1 (MK0) hardware uses 3.3V 5V input, and 5V output. Nothing infeasible about that.

However, due to various other reasons, Rev2 (MK1) hardware uses 5V input (but 3.7V battery if your not got the AC adaptor connected).

What's this now? :)

Both rev1 and rev2 use 5V on the DC jack input. DJ uses a 3.3V supply connected to the battery terminals, not the DC input. The PMC won't turn on with that low of a voltage on the DC jack.

Back