Post Counts Disabled

Do you really think that turning off post counts was a good thing?

• Yes!!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No!!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

i think u should b awarded smamming icons like on dcemulation. if ur a spammer that is. and then devr icons for those who hav contributed. and then helper icons or whatever. if thats possible with inivision boards?

I put a no, as you can tell if someones a helpful user... Didnt think we had many spammers on this site????

I don't know how I feel about it. On one side, newbs would trust people who have like 1.5k posts and would believe in their answers, but some people, like Craig, who knows more about the gp32 than a lot of others (including me and I had like 1500 posts), don't have many posts. Hmm...

It makes no diference how many post someone does to give help. someone with over 1000 posts could just be bullshitting were as someone who has less than 100 tells you what you need to know. newbies would trust the higher poster. I mean I help out with all scummvm related questions as i've had it on my pc. but my count is low.

You can look at it both ways...

Like people say, you can in general trust the answer of someone with more posts, as they do generally have more chance of being experienced in the forum subject.

BUT

You do get the spammers, to whom that little number means more than anything in the world. If getting rid of the post count cuts down on the spamming, I'm all for it. You can still get post counts by clicking the member's name (and a lot of other info), so if you still want to know if someone is a newbie or not, then just do that.

I'm neutral on the subject to be honest. :)

Hmm I'm a little disappointed, the majority is pretty small judging by the results ( 48 yes 25 no ) but I there is an almost unanimous 'yes' verdict in the posts, so that's all good.

'Mysterious forum administrator' -> hando who was good enough to try this out after my post:

Ditch post counts

Well, post counts are supposed to reflect status in the community but with user levels from 'newbie' to custom, and the gp32x stickers on mods, this isn't needed. Instead they seem to spawn forth a lot of spam and 'post count + 1' posts. A lot of members suppost this and have posted in the spam thread - itself created to stop post-count-increasing spam.

From the totse.com BBS (a very active board) administrator, Wintermute:
The original premise proved correct, the number of stupid topics talking about post count or attempting to up post count has decreased GREATLY since [removing post count has] happened.

If this was proposed by a 40 post member, it might not seem especial, but I'm willing to drop any kind of 'respect' attached to 1500 posts, so you know I'm serious about this :) Not sure how Axeman would feel :D

So thanks all of you for confirming the decision as a good one, I hope this makes the forum even better!

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool, aslong as I can tell who has been around for a while (Can I just click there name and get joined date, posts etc)?

Im sure I must know all the hardcore Gp users names by now???

Dean

Back