Possible Touchscreen Fix For 4.0.2, 4.1.0 And 4.1.1 Firmwares

EvilDragon said:
Anyone tested my permanent installer, too?
I tested your fix for gp2x F200.

I used the permanent installer, and wanted to let you know it worked
great. (i wanted to reply in the forum, but somehow it won't let me
register ??).

BTW: i use FW 4.1.1 and noticed the touchscreen did "KINDA" work, for
example in termula, it appears not to work, but in fact it SORTA does,
but somehow the "X" and "Y" axis appear inverted !!, so for example if i
want to select something top-left i have to put the stylus bottom-right.

Thanks for all the cool stuff you are making for the GP2X.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, fixed the permanent installer as much as possible ;)

I couldn't get any GPH gp2xmenu to work with the touchscreen, so I simply left the installed menu version intact and added a touchscreen calibration within the built-in games :)

Before you install the new version, uninstall the old one first (by using the archive from the above link).

New version here: http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,42,2627

Thanks again to notaz for that cool patch :)

Hi,

Thanks for this fix. I updated to 4.1.1 and cant get working the touchscreen with Scummvm. Did someone try it?

Yes, and it worked. But not everytime. ScummVM seems to be the only program I tested, which sometimes fails to work with this patch.

Regards,
Stephan

Hey guys,

I have recently received my gp2x which has firmware 4.0.0. Will the touch-screen fail if I update my firmware?

This is what i read on www.gp2x.com:

GP2X F200 firmware 4.0.2 and 4.1.0 has been released.
This version fixes the touch screen problem that existed with version 4.1.0. released on May 16th.

So when they say "fixes" they mean brakes? There are some features I would like to have from the new firmware, but I really like my functioning touch screen :D

Btw, what is this autorun business? should i not set my programs to execute these lines of code at the end of my program:

chdir("/usr/gp2x");
execl("/usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu", "/usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu", NULL);

How is the proper way to terminate my program?

Thanks for any reply

u9i said:
I have recently received my gp2x which has firmware 4.0.0. Will the touch-screen fail if I update my firmware?

Btw, what is this autorun business? should i not set my programs to execute these lines of code at the end of my program:

chdir("/usr/gp2x");
execl("/usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu", "/usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu", NULL);

How is the proper way to terminate my program?
1) unclechicken has a point; I'm on 4.0.0 and there is no way I'm switching unless all the programs start requiring it. Everything in the archive works splendid on the original firmware. Upgrade at your own risk (but tell us chickens how you fared :) )

2) /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu is the original GP2X menu. Some scripts call it if the programs they execute do NOT have a call to run it after they exit. That is to prevent the GP2X from looking like it's hung up (black screen.) There seems to be no issue running it by default.

u9i said:
Hey guys,

Check my previous post up above, and also here.

I used to have FW 4.0.0 on mine, and I strongly recommend to stick with FW 4.0.0; unless you really use the built-in menu and apps, then there is no reason to update. The trade-offs are too much (in my opinion), and in fact, there shouldn't have been any.

u9i said:
This is what i read on www.gp2x.com:

GP2X F200 firmware 4.0.2 and 4.1.0 has been released.
This version fixes the touch screen problem that existed with version 4.1.0. released on May 16th.
So when they say "fixes" they mean brakes? There are some features I would like to have from the new firmware, but I really like my functioning touch screen :D

I think what that meant was that it fixed the touchscreen for the built-in menu & apps, as it was also broken in a previous firmware release, excluding FW 4.0.0; touchscreen for homebrew games and apps remain broken in this firmware version.

unclechicken said:
Stay with 4.0.0

If it aint broke, dont flash it.
I was going to ask a obvious (to me anyway) question - is there any massive reason to move from 4.0.0 - all the newer versions seem to have loads of issues.

Eserim

What is the old touchscreen behaviour, and what is the new?

I used the F100 but my F200 is coming next week (I hope). Don't know what version. Am I understanding correctly that the latest version comes with a touch screen that is not even working?

Redsandro said:
What is the old touchscreen behaviour, and what is the new?

I used the F100 but my F200 is coming next week (I hope). Don't know what version. Am I understanding correctly that the latest version comes with a touch screen that is not even working?
The problem is they changed a data structure in the kernel code, and it was totally unnecessary as far as I can tell. So, the touchscreen remained the same and still works, GPH just messed up the driver. Apply notaz's fix and wait for the Open2X firmware, shouldn't be too long now.

So they changed it for no apparent reason.. :/

Anyway, from the open2x wiki:

wiki.open2x.org said:
Open2x is not currently supported on the F200.
-: Open2x currently does not support the F200 and any attempt to flash a DR version WILL most likely brick an F200 :-
So I'll keep that out of my mind for the time being.

Redsandro said:
So they changed it for no apparent reason.. :/

Anyway, from the open2x wiki:

wiki.open2x.org said:
Open2x is not currently supported on the F200.
-: Open2x currently does not support the F200 and any attempt to flash a DR version WILL most likely brick an F200 :-
So I'll keep that out of my mind for the time being.

Whilst that is currently true it should be noted that Open2x F200 support is really coming along quite nicely (F200 MK1 anyway) and is in active testing but I don't want to remove that status yet as we are not geared up for helping F200 users just yet. The main person working on that support is Senor Quack.

Oh, and GPH changing something for no good reason, I won't believe it ;).

Nice to know. But I'll wait 'till it's deemed save by the F200 community ;)

Now that we're talking about Open2X, I've read the wiki but I fail to learn the main improvement apart from openness and license enforcing. Is it speed? Will we be able to emulate N64?
(just kidding)

DJWillis said:
Yeah me neither, but I understand that's how it looks like to a lot of users here.

Redsandro said:
Nice to know. But I'll wait 'till it's deemed save by the F200 community ;)

Now that we're talking about Open2X, I've read the wiki but I fail to learn the main improvement apart from openness and license enforcing. Is it speed? Will we be able to emulate N64?
(just kidding)

DJWillis said:
Yeah me neither, but I understand that's how it looks like to a lot of users here.

No speed improvements, but we will hopefully fix all the stupid bugs of the current firmwares and even add a few of our own :)

There will be more about new features once the DR4 beta release is out, but we shouldn't derail this thread.

Right. I'm curious for the future release. But at the moment, using the autostart function is pretty much all I need to really like the firmware. With the touchscreen bugfix, I think I'm gonna need to hear about either improved (boot)speed or another sweet feature from Open2x before I'd ditch the firmware.

To keep this on track, here's the original patch by notaz:
http://notaz.gp2x.de/releases/f200_ts_hack_r1.zip

Source:
http://notaz.gp2x.de/releases/f200_ts_hack_r1_src.zip

Notes:
Touch fix for firmwares 4.0.2, 4.1.0 and 4.1.1.
Non-permanent fix, which is good because it cripples the firmware touchscreen in the original menu.

EvilDragon created a permanent fix. AFAIK it's basically the same, but permanent, and installs the 4.0.0 firmware menu so the touchscreen is not crippled anymore:

http://www.gp2x.de/temp/f200touchfix.zip

Notes:
Contains graphic glitches

New reworked version:
http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,42,2627
Glitches gone but not compatible with ScummVM and maybe more.

EvilDragon, any chance you got this worked out already?

Redsandro said:
Right. I'm curious for the future release. But at the moment, using the autostart function is pretty much all I need to really like the firmware. With the touchscreen bugfix, I think I'm gonna need to hear about either improved (boot)speed or another sweet feature from Open2x before I'd ditch the firmware.
No problem, the boot time has always been less than the GPH firmware.

Back