Possible Touchscreen Fix For 4.0.2, 4.1.0 And 4.1.1 Firmwares

notaz

Certified Guru
Website
notaz.gp2x.de
This should probably go to beta testing zone, but will post here so more people can see.

This is a kernel module hack for F200 4.0.2, 4.1.0 and 4.1.1 firmwares, which can (hopefully) make touchscreen work the same way as it did in 4.0.0 firmware. I've only tested it on my F200 "mk1", but reportedly it also works on "mk2" F200s (I've mostly done this for those who can't go back to 4.0.0, but have no idea if it will work for them :( ).

Please note that when the hack is active, touchscreen will not work in standard GPH menus. But that can be worked around by editing game scripts so that they install hack before launching, and remove it when done. See readme for details.

download here
source

For those who are interested, this thing works somewhat similarly to how early squidgehack worked - it mangles some internal structures of the running kernel, and hooks up some code from 4.0.0 firmware.

Edit: fixed source link and updated info.
(yay my first F200 release! Special thanks to ED for my F200!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Great! Very good news! Unfortunately I can't test this at the moment.
It's also a good thing that you now own a F-200. Can we expect more releases in the future?

Regards,
Stephan

Wahooo :D
Great, thanks, gonna try it out.

If it works, I'll slap up a FW200 new LCD firmware with the kernel hack and the old menu together :D

Great work! Definitely good news. Thanks notaz.

Now this is tempting me to finally upgrade my firmware. :p

Maybe I'll just wait for sbock to confirm that it works on his. :)

Anyway, question... when upgrading from FW 4.0.0, do I have to do 4.0.2 first before 4.1.0 (both the fixed versions)?

Sorry Manjuu, but I can't test this out before next week. :( So someone other has to volunteer...

Anyway, question... when upgrading from FW 4.0.0, do I have to do 4.0.2 first before 4.1.0 (both the fixed versions)?

Yes, so the GPH site stated and so I tried it out successfully.

Regards,
Stephan

EvilDragon said:
Wahooo :D
Great, thanks, gonna try it out.

If it works, I'll slap up a FW200 new LCD firmware with the kernel hack and the old menu together :D
Cool, let me know if that works.

Damn, looks like I don't have a new gp2x here... have to wait for the next batch.
But I'll slap up the special FW version anyways so anybody can try.

paradroid said:
I tested that hack and wow! :lol: works fine.
Good to hear. Is your GP2X F200 "mk2" (did it come from factory preinstalled with 4.0.2)?

notaz said:
paradroid said:
I tested that hack and wow! :lol: works fine.
Good to hear. Is your GP2X F200 "mk2" (did it come from factory preinstalled with 4.0.2)?

yes it is! :lol:
And your hack works fine!
But do you think it is possible to solve the problem with too low audio in pocketsnes and gpfce?

Good.

Volume control can be hacked in a similar way too, but such hacks are difficult to make because required source code is not available. To make it, I have to disassemble their kernel, find the affected code and think of a way to patch it. This takes a lot of time, unfortunately.

So awesome, tested on 4.1.0, works great, fixed my gmenu2x problems, thank you so much. Just curious, the link to the source is the same as the link to the executable, is the source posted somewhere? Thanks!

OK, I find some time to quick test the hack and ED's installer with my F-200 MK 1 with FW 4.1.1:

The hack works like a charm.
With EvilDragons installer homebrew apps works, but there are some minor grafic glitches in the settings menu and the touchscreen in the firmware menu doesn't work.

Regards,
Stephan

Okay, got some time tonight, gonna fix the menu if possible and release a new permanent fix installer :)

I finally updated my firmware to 4.1.1. As expected, touchscreen for homebrew broke.

The touchscreen fix works. :)

Question, at the start of a script, is it necessary to remove "wm97xx_hack" before loading it back again? Will it go crazy if it was loaded a second time?

[offtopic]

Sadly, even though now we have a fix for the touchscreen, there are other broken items in these firmware updates.

The Autorun is broken. It doesn't relaunch the autorun.gpu after exiting a program. It is a pain to relaunch GMenu2x. Creating a script or activating the Wrapper in GMenu2x doesn't always work. There are programs that ignore these, and they seem to be hardcoded to directly go back to the gp2xmenu at exit. (They also don't remove "wm97xx_hack" at exit) :(

The next problem is the sound being way too low. Some programs are barely audible, even at maximum volume. :(

Manjuu said:
The Autorun is broken. It doesn't relaunch the autorun.gpu after exiting a program. It is a pain to relaunch GMenu2x. Creating a script or activating the Wrapper in GMenu2x doesn't always work. There are programs that ignore these, and they seem to be hardcoded to directly go back to the gp2xmenu at exit. (They also don't remove "wm97xx_hack" at exit) :(

The next problem is the sound being way too low. Some programs are barely audible, even at maximum volume. :(
Yes, Manjuu you are right. It's really a shame. I can confirm both problems.

Back