Possible to downgrade to HF4?

ZXDunny

Deep avatar
Hi all -

Is there any way to remove HF5 and go back to HF4? I've got the PND-version of HF5 installed. Now:

1. The Ghosting is much more noticeable, and is really off-putting

2. It's a pretty random chance that the SD cards will be recognised by any of my computers in mass-storage mode - I've tried on XP, Win7, Slackware 64 and KUbuntu 10.10 32bit, and most of the time the cards just don't appear when they're set to mass-storage, even if I un-plug and re-plug the USB cable.

3. Every other boot, my first SD Card gets renamed. It's actually called "16GB_SD", but every other boot it's renamed to "16GB_SD-1" in the /media/ directory, which causes all the emulators to lose track of where I've installed the ROMs, along with other side-effects.

4. As another poster has said, PNDs with spaces in their names no longer work

So all in all, I'd quite like to go back to HF4 please!

D.

Hi all -

Is there any way to remove HF5 and go back to HF4? I've got the PND-version of HF5 installed. Now:

Tried changing the LCD settings? Enable the Blur filter for the hardware scaler maybe... instead of none.

Nothing has changed here that could have an affect of increased ghosting.

I'll look up a link for a HF4 flasher later.

Hi all -

Tried changing the LCD settings? Enable the Blur filter for the hardware scaler maybe... instead of none.

Nothing has changed here that could have an affect of increased ghosting.

I use the TV Style Gamma settings, and the blur filter is always on. There was no noticeable ghosting in Earthbound prior to the HF5 install - now it's quite horrendous.

I'll look up a link for a HF4 flasher later.

FFS, am I gonna have to remove all my settings back to defaults again? Is there no way to simply "undo" the damage the PND appears to have done? Let's at least get the SD Card issue fixed first, please? It's making development for this thing very painful indeed, and settling down to play my favourite emulators is getting to be a chore having to navigate to my ROM/Images folder every single time I reboot the Pandora. Just what have you done to it? The firmware was getting pretty good up to this point!

D.

FFS, am I gonna have to remove all my settings back to defaults again? Is there no way to simply "undo" the damage the PND appears to have done? Let's at least get the SD Card issue fixed first, please? It's making development for this thing very painful indeed, and settling down to play my favourite emulators is getting to be a chore having to navigate to my ROM/Images folder every single time I reboot the Pandora. Just what have you done to it? The firmware was getting pretty good up to this point!

I think I know the error of that script, since I only changed one line that has been suggested by someone on the bugtracker, so that's an easy one you can do yourself.

It is also possible to force the reinstallation of the HF4 packages, I should be able to make such a script for you.

However, as absolutely NOTHING has changed with the graphics display since HF4, I doubt it will fix and ghosting, as I have no idea where that should come from.

I'll check out Earthbound myself, but it just doesn't make sense.

I think I know the error of that script, since I only changed one line that has been suggested by someone on the bugtracker, so that's an easy one you can do yourself.

It is also possible to force the reinstallation of the HF4 packages, I should be able to make such a script for you.

However, as absolutely NOTHING has changed with the graphics display since HF4, I doubt it will fix and ghosting, as I have no idea where that should come from.

I'll check out Earthbound myself, but it just doesn't make sense.

Agreed, but I've definitely noticed a change. Anyhow, if you can let me know the fixes needed to sort the SD card problem, I'll be more than happy. I should also mention that it appears that when the Mass-Storage mode is de-activated, the old SD doesn't seem to get the entry in /media/ deleted (the mountpoint) and that accounts for the renamed SD card's entry. I currently have no idea why it does this. Edit: It has been suggested that possibly rogue PNDs that don't un-mount properly are to blame for this, but I currently have no idea which - it has happened on a clean boot with no PNDs being run before mass-storage was activated.

D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: spaces in paths borking pnds..

sebt3 built a tool to do regression testing on pnd_run.sh so whenever he changes it, he can autotest that all this stuff works. I think he'll get that sorted out ASAP. RL caught him for a bit I think, but in general this sort of breakage shouldn't occur in the future.

jeff

this needs to be frontpaged or somit for HF5 since i thought i had a dodgy sdcard and went throught the hoops formattign reformatting till i applied the patch!

edit/

hmm still getting not mounting errors? am sure my sd card is okay swapped it out from my possibly dodgy one.

agh!

well reapplying the mountfix seems to help; i am booting off sd card so the mounfix still should be permanent no?

hi looking for the firmware for hotfix 4 (i want to downgrade, run off sdcard) anyone know which one it is here?:

http://openpandora.org/firmware/images/

ta

edit

thanks to Gruso you should download rootfs zipped file that is dated 30 August in the old folder

Back