Possible Solution For Snes Transparencies

DaveC

Internal Development
Do you think this would be a possible solution for the problem of slow transparencies in the Snes emus? What it would be is every other scanline would be rendered as a *solid* so there would be no color averaging needed like with true transparency. Every other line could be set up in memory so that it would always be clear on the transparency layer. This way you still could see "through" like a transparency without all of the CPU hits that would be needed with true transparencies.

No it doesn't look as good as true transparency but may be a good compromise for speed and playability.

snestransparency1.jpg

While were on the subject of opensnes I was wondering if yoyo has any plans to incorporate RF-Link to his emu in the near future.
Thanks

DaveC posted on May 14 2004 at 04:10 AM said:
Do you think this would be a possible solution for the problem of slow transparencies in the Snes emus? What it would be is every other scanline would be rendered as a *solid* so there would be no color averaging needed like with true transparency. Every other line could be set up in memory so that it would always be clear on the transparency layer. This way you still could see "through" like a transparency without all of the CPU hits that would be needed with true transparencies.

No it doesn't look as good as true transparency but may be a good compromise for speed and playability.

snestransparency1.jpg
Check these: http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/jikorhon/conde.../lcdblaster.txt
and http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/jikorhon/conde...dl/lcdblast.fxe

Somekind of transparency made with LCD hardware (very low CPU usage) but I do have my doubts how well that would work in a complex project. :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm sure yoyo and the team has thought of that and ditched the idea. i thought of using that when 0.1 came out, but the idea is so simple even _I_ thought of it, so they must've been there already.

jegHegy posted on May 14 2004 at 05:16 PM said:
i'm sure yoyo and the team has thought of that and ditched the idea. i thought of using that when 0.1 came out, but the idea is so simple even _I_ thought of it, so they must've been there already.
You can't assume anything. Sometimes the simplest things are overlooked. Yoyo may been so cought up in thinking of complex routines to do the effect that this "trick" was missed. You never know. Didn't you ever see an invention or idea and say to yourself "Hey why didn't I think of that". So it would be interesting if an emu coder that has tried emulating transparencies commented on this as well.

If anyone has "secret" e-mail address for Yoyo maybe it would be good to ask him about this and e-mail this pic to him to see what he thinks, could never hurt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back