I Love Squidgessnes

evol

Hi Squidge now that i got your attention i would like you to hear me out with a "open" mind.
i recently got a enlighting lesson from a Fishbong in a thread about Fps and interlacing and such. were he sends out the message that 30 or 60 doesn't matter what matters is what we in the physical world perceive as "real".

so ive been thinking of the Snes and its 4 layers of rendering, and the transparency that it uses for 1 layer.
i the came to think of how about trying to trick the brain that it seeing transparency.

i then thought of stop motion movies where you can "fake" transparency by showing the transparent layer every third picture to make the brain think its seeing it all the time.(its opaque but because it gets shown "in between frames the brain thinks its not "solid").

i think this technique only applies to a multi layered scenes but the graphics subsystem of the Snes is just that. (or so ive been told)

the "flicker layer fast" technique can only work if the brain is fast enough to see the layer but slow enough to register the background at the same time. so some fiddling of how many framedrops is needed for the transparent layer would be essential before the illusion works.(if it works at all)

the benefits would be (as i see it)
1. less strain on the rendering
2. transparency at zero cost of rendering

drawbacks
1.may put some strain on your brain (but what the fuck SDtv,s do it all the time)
2. maybe impossible with the graphic engine currently in use

i know that this could be just a stab in the dark but please play with the thought at least. before sending me of to the dark corners of n00bness.

ohh and btw i really love your emulator.

Back