Possible hardware fault

dcandc

Still Fresh
Hi Folks,

I've experienced an issue with my Pandora that is very similar to the thread here:

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?/topic/2229-crash-upon-first-boot/

To summarise:

The first boot it took a *very* long time to 'work'. Flashing green Led on the left. No red led on the right.

Periodically while using my Pandora the screen will very suddenly blank out and display a random pattern of vertical lines in a single colour. Most often this is pink but occasionally it is green. After a short time the vertical bars slowly become white. At this point the Pandora is completely unresponsive (including the power switch) and the battery has to be removed to turn it off.

After cycling the battery in and out 2-5 times it will normally boot up again. Sometimes this takes more than 10 times.

(The vertical lines have never appeared during the bootstrap)

If I leave the pandora powered up it will quite happily display the desktop for hours, it's normally only when I try to do something it will fail. Trying to reproduce these failures can be difficult. Repeating the exact steps will not necessarily cause a crash.

As this issue has been reported several times I was wondering if the cause of the fault is known? Is it a known problem? If the recommended course of action is to return the unit could somebody suggest how I go about doing that.

Cheers,

dcandc

Last edited by a moderator:
It could be the battery losing contact when you move the unit.

Try padding it so it is really forced on to those contacts.

It could be the battery losing contact when you move the unit.

Try padding it so it is really forced on to those contacts.

Folks, thanks for the feedback.

I tried to pad the battery compartment with a piece of card that fit quite firmly but did experience the same problem on occasion.

I then padded the battery with a rather thick piece of card positioned directly under the contacts and the problems have completely stopped.

The battery cover on the case is slightly warped now though... so when I type the device slightly rocks from side to side.

It's workable for sure.

I've since noticed a few posts suggesting packing card next to the battery but none of them mentioned any pink vertical lines - So if anyone else finds this post.. that's what fixed it for me.

Thanks again,

- dcandc

I have a small piece of card folded over into a strip about 2cm long by 1/2 cm deep which sits *next to* the battery, as the battery tends to slide around the compartment laterally which causes the contacts to touch the wrong battery contact. Before I did this I also experienced random crashes and found the unit turning itself on in my bag.

D.

You sit the piece of card on the right side of the battery/battery compartment, as I do, correct?

Assuming you're talking to me... With the unit upside down, power port away from me, I have the piece of card to the right/furthest long edge from me:

Code:
|---------------------------|

|                       ====|

|                           |

|                           |

|---------------------------|

(Hope that's obvious!) The card just there (====) stops the right hand end of the battery moving away from the bottom-right. There's a *lot* of room in there.

D.

Ah, ok. It's different to mine then. Here's mine.

mDcMs.png

Back