Ports

Javacat

Founder of the WarmFluffyUK fan club
Website
Visit site
Just looking at the renderings and I can't see any sign of the promised RS-232 port that has been brought up previously. Will you need to do this through a USB converter or does the A/V port have some hidden functions?
Also, is there a mic hidden away in there somewhere, or will that require some other input device?

RS-232 and Mic are built into the A/V socket :)

Well, actually, it's probably UART rather than RS-232, as I doubt there will be a MAX232 or similar, but who knows, maybe MJW can pull some strings :)

Yes, the A/V jack (which is also known as the expansion connector) has the following features:
CODE

- 3.5mm stereo headphone jack (hole on the left side)
- 6 pin expansion connector (slot on the right side)
- headset microphone
- UART level serial port
- Dual TV outputs (composite or s-video)

The prototypes have a uart to RS-232 level shifter for debugging which is not slated for population in the final production design to reduce cost. If the demand for it is high, it can be considered a necessary part.

The problem is that it is not a common, inexpensive part like the MAX232, it is a more advanced converter that runs on lower voltages to support the 1.8V logic of the OMAP processor. We'll just have to find the balance between how many little extras to throw in before the price gets too far out from estimated retail.

1. It will have a built-in mic, right?

2. Will the TV cable be included?

3. *salivates over portable, online/wireless multiplayer Super Smash Brothers*

It'll be like owning the DS of the future, with free games! :D

MWeston said:
The prototypes have a uart to RS-232 level shifter for debugging which is not slated for population in the final production design to reduce cost. If the demand for it is high, it can be considered a necessary part.
I think that as a machine targeted to "hombrew applications" the debugger is something crucial...

As example Idecided don't to support fx-200 as they dropped the ethernet-usb that was the BEST feature for developer allowing samba and remote debugging.

Unai

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget that Linux apps can be debugged via Wifi or usb-networking (standard debugging text via stdout, gdb, etc). You'll only really need the uart on the ext port for Linux hacking (eg. your own distribution kind of thing, like Open2X), Linux device drivers, and non-Linux work. I'd say thats about 10% of the buyers, if that?

MWeston said:
Could the level shifter be incorporated into an adapter that would provide an RS-232 socket for the machine, thus meaning we didn't all have to pay for it, but developers could?

una-i said:
MWeston said:
I think that as a machine targeted to "hombrew applications" the debugger is something crucial...

As example Idecided don't to support fx-200 as they dropped the ethernet-usb that was the BEST feature for developer allowing samba and remote debugging.

Unai

Why would you need a remote serial debugger for a homebrew app?

Probably even easier to say "Here'a a reference schematic and parts list, someone make an adaptor.". After all, the community helped to make the first usb host and serial interfaces for the 2x.

Squidge said:
I'd say thats about 10% of the buyers, if that?
I don't know how marketing research has been done, but really factors like this should be assessed in full.

@teggun: Sure, how about you pay an in-depth market and consumer study?

I don't know, how much would it be to add RS-232 to the unit? Would require a special chip or some sort of emulation, right? Also, wouldn't it be possible to offer a discount for developers including an adapter for this? That's what was done with the break out board for the gp2x. I think that actually included RS-232...

Yeah, keep the price down as much as you can, but maybe make that an option for developers, even just packing it in when you know the developer is capable and willing to do stuff.

una-i said:
MWeston said:

Unai

I totally agree una-i, I didn't buy the F-200 for that same reason.

i am so much going to have fun this this device just using it for Linux and never mind games, :)

cant wait for the official finalization of specs and pictures.

thankyou all who is involved with this project :)

Back