Ports and specifically doom...

BenRoshi

Ok as some of you alread know, I am waiting for xmas to hopefuly get a gp32 (which will be the best gift ever!!). Anyways, so I was looking around at the games you can download, adn I found the doom game people talk about a lot. It looks awesome! But its a port, and I heard all this mod stuff about it, and I'm wondering, do I have to own the actual game to play this one?

Yes you do, basically the program you download for the GP32 just loads the original PC files known as WADS. You can download a shareware version of Doom 1 for free, but it only includes the first chapter of levels.

These 'mods' you refer to are simply custom versions of Doom with different Graphics or sound affects, such as the recently created Half-life version. These come in two different types. Additional wads, which still require the original game on your GP32, or Total Conversions which can be played without the original game.

well i got the wad off kazzaa lite. so if you dont care that much about how much money id soft makes than that would be my recomendation.

whodahell600 posted on Dec 20 2003 at 12:02 AM said:
well i got the wad off kazzaa lite. so if you dont care that much about how much money id soft makes than that would be my recomendation.
I think we're meant to let noobs figure this out for themselves. It's part of GP culture.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, are the doom mods for either 1 or 2, or certain ones for 1 and certain ones for 2? Because I was thinking, if I got the free doom 1 thing, and then modded it with a few good mods (half life sounds awesome!), it'd be good enough. Or is there a difference in available mods for 1 and 2?

You get different mods for different versions (either one or two.)

Like I said though mods are either additional files or stand alone.

The half life mod for example is just a standalone so it just goes in to the doom folder in place of the original doom 2 wad under the same name, so you will never even need the original games to play it.

A simpsons mod I have however is an add on, so you leave the doom 1 wad in there as normal and then the simpsons file as well. Then in the DoomGP menu there is and option to load additional wads.

Its kind of hard to explain, but either way, in some cases you will need the doom 1 and 2 wads sometimes you won't.

The 4 total conversions for the gamepark are just that, TOTAL!!! They don't need the other wads, and for the western one, you cannot have the wad for the original game with it, they both have the same title and shouldn't be renamed.

Just make a doom folder in /game/ , drop the total conversion wad there, and place the original doom.fxe for the game itself in /gpmm/ and you are good.

mth411

Back