Portrequest: Widelands

mcobit

Advanced Member
This is an Open-Source clone of the game Settlers 2. But it has some optimisations and onlineplay functionality. It is created with lua and SDL.

http://wl.widelands.org/

HomepageSplash.jpg

I loved this game so I can make a try, but is this really a "finished" game? I couldn't tell from their status pages.

Well, downloading the windows version to see if it is worth the effort.

Just a quick update, it runs on the Pandora, but very slow at 500mhz (~7fps), I was going to release an alpha anyway, but I made a change for it to work on a PND, and it stopped running. Once I found the problem I'll release it, and then try to find out if it is possible to get performance improvements.

Hey, these are good news. As it is build with sdl, maybe the new version can be of any use to gain speed?

mcobit said:
Hey, these are good news. As it is build with sdl, maybe the new version can be of any use to gain speed?
I wouldn't count on that. Widelands isn't very resource efficient.

Last edited by a moderator:
...if it's inefficient then doesn't that mean it's making extra unrequired calls to the API? Therefore if it's making extra calls, and these are each getting processed a little bit faster, then an inefficient game should benefit MORE from an improved SDL than an efficient one?

Waiting patiently for my logic to be shot down in flames!

Inefficienty has uncountable reasons...

...but something like "unrequired calls". Can't really imagine. Either I call SDL_BlitSurface or I don't. Either the image appears on the screen or it doesn't.

Pleng said:
...if it's inefficient then doesn't that mean it's making extra unrequired calls to the API? Therefore if it's making extra calls, and these are each getting processed a little bit faster, then an inefficient game should benefit MORE from an improved SDL than an efficient one?

Waiting patiently for my logic to be shot down in flames!
I do not know in what way the software is inefficient programmed, but my 1,8 GHz C2D Notebook produces a lot of heat while running it. Maybe Siedler2.5 (!Link in german) is also an option. It's open source and a linux version exists, but no single player mode is implented yet :angry: .

Last edited by a moderator:
Back