Porting Milkytracker - Need Some Help With Controls

dnlgreenwood

I'LL END YOU!!!
Hi,

I'm working on porting Milkytracker to the Wiz, but I need some help because I don't own a Wiz myself and don't know too much about how the Wiz's controls.

First of all, I need to know what order the buttons are in. For example, this is the order for the Caanoo:
BTN_A = 0, // A / 1
BTN_X = 1, // X / 2
BTN_B = 2, // B / 3
BTN_Y = 3, // Y / 4
BTN_L = 4, // L / 5, L1
BTN_R = 5, // R / 6, L2
BTN_HOME = 6, // Home / 7, R1
BTN_HOLD = 7, // Hold / 8, R2
BTN_HELP1 = 8, // Help I / Select
BTN_HELP2 = 9, // Help II / Start
BTN_TACT = 10, // Tact / L Thumb Stick

I also need someone to test out my binaries so that I know the controls work and that it runs properly before I release it.

Thanks!

EDIT 22:45 @-8:00GMT 21/7/11:
Okay, I've made all of the major modifications to the code, and all I need now is to properly map the controls, which I can't really do at this point without trial and error, which I'd like to avoid since I don't have my own console. I may just compile it and post it here for testing after I read over the code again. The touch screen should work. The buttons may work, but they may be mapped to weird places like they were when I first compiled for the Caanoo without making any control changes. I won't know until I get feedback, though.

Okay, this is how I want the controls to be:
D-pad: mouse movement
A: mouse click (hold for right click)
B: tab (move cursor to the next channel to the right)
X: delete
Y: backspace
Select: escape (stop playback)
Menu: enter (start playback from the top of the current pattern)
L: spacebar (toggle rec mode)
R: spacebar (toggle rec mode)

Since the L/R buttons are mapped to the same thing, does anyone here want something mapped else to one of them? In the Caanoo version, I left out the shoulder buttons altogether because my shoulder buttons suck and need to be tightened.

EDIT 23:45 @-8:00GMT 21/7/11:
Okay, I have just made an "educated guess" on how to map the controls based on the controls of both the GP2X and the Caanoo. The select, home, and hold buttons might be switched.

Okay, I've fixed that problem (I think) but now I have another:

configure:5771: error: Please install libSDL

--disable-sdltest fixed that. No more errors yet. Just ran make.

Okay, compiling is a complete mess right now... I'm going to have to force myself to use Windows.

EDIT 11:30 PM 7/22/11:
Okay, I'm using Cygwin in Windows 7 on my netbook. It's going twice as slow and I'm having the same problems. Kill me. Now. Just do it.
Also, notepad + unix line endings = absolute hell.

EDIT 1:00 AM 7/23/11:
Those errors turned up because I forgot to add C:/ to the paths to the compilers. Also, I've downloaded Notepad++.

EDIT: 1:15 AM 7/23/11:
All seems to be going well... it's going to take damn-near forever to compile, though.

EDIT: Crack of Dawn, 7/23/11:
Okay, I just woke up to see that make failed... I'm going to force it to ignore errors since it wasn't supposed to use jack anyway. -_-
AudioDriverManager.cpp:74: error: `AudioDriver_MMSYSTEM' has not been declared
AudioDriverManager.cpp:73: error: `AudioDriver_MMSYSTEM' has not been declared
My god... I hope this thing doesn't take longer than four hours... stupid Windows forces shutdown after it updates.

Edit:
Well, that didn't work. Going to try again in Ubuntu.

I'll beta test for you, no problem. I tried finding some documentation of the Wiz's controls with no luck. Hopefully a dev with experience coding on the Wiz can help you out though.

I can also test this for you, been waiting for a milkytracker port for ages :)

Mr.TwisT said:
I can also test this for you, been waiting for a milkytracker port for ages :)
Sure; just as soon as I can compile this beast. As you can see from the first post... I've been having some difficulty in that department, probably stemming from the SDK I'm using. IIRC, that type of error often means that it can't find the compiler or it's the wrong binary... Maybe I'll try to use the Windows SDK, but that would mean either booting up a borrowed old HP Presario without working any USB ports, or rebooting my netbook into Windows 7 Starter.

After it's compiled, I believe it should mostly work.

Things I need tested after I compile:
All of the controls should work according to the layout posted in the first post; no mismatched buttons
That the touch screen works
That TV-OUT functionality works (it does with the Caanoo version)
That USB keyboards work (they do with the Caanoo version)
That USB mice work (I have no idea if they work in the Caanoo port, for I haven't a USB mouse)
That saving and loading files works
That exiting works (probably doesn't)
That the mouse moves at three different speeds according to how long you hold the d-pad down for
The default color scheme should be green (my personal favourite)
By default, the embedded file browser should be used
That changing the system volume works (if it doesn't, you can change the master volume in the configuration)
That module playback isn't out of sync (listen to the music, check the cursor position and the scopes and check if they are synchronized)
Check if options save after exit; on the Caanoo version, they most certainly don't

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel bad that it's causing you so much trouble Com64. Don't let it drive you crazy though, the attempt itself is very much appreciated! I wonder why it was so much easier to compile for the Caanoo, I mean, they're almost the same console internally speaking.

Just typing a quick message feom my mobile... I'll be uploading the source code for anyone who wants to take a crack at compiling it or who knows how to properly use the wiz's SDK; I'm not having that much luck with it. I'll also post instructions on how to edit the source code to change the controls in case I've mapped them incorrectly. I'm going on vacation next week, so I won't be as available, but I'll check my email every once in a while.

Back