Porting a CLI game.

Had the same trouble myself try this. Mash pointed me in the direction of this command :D

terminal --fullscreen --hide-toolbars -e "./PROGRAM"

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, not me Gruso,

But I'm intrigued now. I love Dungeon Crawlers :D

edit. heh Ninja'd.

Thanks for the link I'll definitely grab that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had the same trouble myself try this. Mash pointed me in the direction of this command :D

terminal --fullscreen --hide-toolbars -e "./PROGRAM"
Thanks! But now I have another problem. The game wants 'scribble-english' to be in '/usr/share/dict' How do I tell it to look elsewhere?

Just had a quick download and browse, edit the makefile.

prefix = /usr/local

A quick browse of the Perl script makes me think you might have to do some editing there too.

mhaws, was it you working on the dungeon crawler?

speaking of crawls, i got stone soup running, but it has major stability bugs when you use the nethack style controls, did try the tiled version, do'nt know if the screen would fit it easily for a start XD
I've compiled the non-tiles version of Stone Soup, and it's running fine. I've played several levels, and it hasn't crashed once.

And yes, I'm the one who asked basically this in that other thread. Later tonight, I'll put up a .pnd for it.

I've compiled the non-tiles version of Stone Soup, and it's running fine. I've played several levels, and it hasn't crashed once.

And yes, I'm the one who asked basically this in that other thread. Later tonight, I'll put up a .pnd for it.

very strange, could've just been the version i grabbed (latest dev one), or something along those lines

(if you're pnd-ing it, don't forget to do some nice bindings, maybe some code to map the d-pad to numpad, and abxy to common commands like evoke/zap/eat/butcher/etc :p )

damn real life not giving me time to do it :)

Looking forward to it.

very strange, could've just been the version i grabbed (latest dev one), or something along those lines

(if you're pnd-ing it, don't forget to do some nice bindings, maybe some code to map the d-pad to numpad, and abxy to common commands like evoke/zap/eat/butcher/etc :p )

damn real life not giving me time to do it :)
I'm not sure how to do bindings in the .pnd. Probably an extra command that I don't yet know.

Anyway, here's how it works out of the box: You can move orthogonally with the D-pad, and diagonally with the face buttons. (except that B and X are the opposite of what you might expect -- that'll need to be remapped) Vi keys work as well. Shift-moving doesn't work with the d-pad and face buttons, but does work with the vi keys. I think that's consistant with its behaviour on my desktop as well.

As is normal, L can be used for Shift, and R can be used for Control. The common commands are all easy enough to reach. I don't remember how often Control is used; maybe I can turn that into a sort of "diagonal lock" for the d-pad, and rebind the face buttons to things like x (examine), ` (repeat last command, great for ranged attacks which usually require more than one keypress), Enter (easy enough to reach, but I worry about wearing it out). You don't want to try to press diagonals in a roguelike without a "D-lock", since it'll sometimes register presses of the orthogonal direction.

I'm not sure how to do bindings in the .pnd. Probably an extra command that I don't yet know.

Anyway, here's how it works out of the box: You can move orthogonally with the D-pad, and diagonally with the face buttons. (except that B and X are the opposite of what you might expect -- that'll need to be remapped) Vi keys work as well. Shift-moving doesn't work with the d-pad and face buttons, but does work with the vi keys. I think that's consistant with its behaviour on my desktop as well.

As is normal, L can be used for Shift, and R can be used for Control. The common commands are all easy enough to reach. I don't remember how often Control is used; maybe I can turn that into a sort of "diagonal lock" for the d-pad, and rebind the face buttons to things like x (examine), ` (repeat last command, great for ranged attacks which usually require more than one keypress), Enter (easy enough to reach, but I worry about wearing it out). You don't want to try to press diagonals in a roguelike without a "D-lock", since it'll sometimes register presses of the orthogonal direction.

i was thinking more hacking the bindings into the executable, or you could do it by switching keymaps in a startup script.

ctrl is used for switching options like autopickup etc, and ragequitting, so might cause binding issues, as it might clash with ctrl+j/etc

might just have to bother with vi keys, not too hard to get the hang of really, but whatever really, as you've got the time and effort to package it, feel free to rebind everything and make it as confusing as possible :D

No dice. That command opens a terminal (if I take out the -e part, it won't close automatically when Crawl refuses to run), but it still has menubars.

Back